2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Add a leaf installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:52 PM
jonb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add a leaf installation questions

Alright got my Fabtech FTS203 Add A Leaf in the mail yesterday, planning on installing it tomorrow morning. However while I was under my truck spraying the bolts down with WD-40 I noticed a few problems I might have.

First of all there is a large torx head bolt under there attaching the ends of the leaf springs to the shackles. Does anyone know what # torx bit I will need for that?

Also I was looking at these brackets that are holding the leafs together.. Any ideas on how to easily and safely get them off?
I read something on another forum saying these brackets are a PITA to remove and even worse to put back on. Any ideas?

I would also welcome any tips or tricks that anyone might have.

[IMG]local://upfiles/42370/8C90902F32AD48B58497DB4BCDEBAE17.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42370/8836F79540EC4E90BC17A83AD06242F3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-10-2007, 11:38 AM
BAnders
Veteran
Default RE: Add a leaf installation questions

that hex looks like a 20 or 25( i could be wrong)like a seatbelt bolt. you might try bending that tab with some needle nose pliers.make sure you use a jack stand under the axle and use a floor jack to push up on the springs, this will make it easier to take the u-bolts off. i did mine a couple of years ago, think it was rough country 1.5 inch add a leafs[/align]

Old 02-10-2007, 06:38 PM
jonb
Default RE: Add a leaf installation questions

Well here is my followup just in case anyone is planning on doing the same. For my 2003, Quad cab, 2WD I needed a 13/16in x 3in deep socket, a T55 (torx bit), and those brackets didn't need to come off at all.
I did all the work by myself which took 4 hours, I would recommend having a friend to help you though.
Also I highly recommend having a shop with a lift bay and air tools. If you don't have air tools your arms will get a great workout. I learned a lot by doing all the work myself, now I could probably do it in half the time or less. It really wasn't that hard, just has a pretty steep learning curve.
If anyone has any questions let me know.

Quick Reply: Add a leaf installation questions