2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

sponge brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:05 PM
midnight.dakota1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sponge brakes

so i've had my 98 dakota for about 5-6 months now and i have already replaced the brake master cylinder on it once due to right b4 they sold it to me someone accidently put power steering fluid in the brake fluid and it made my brakes screw up huge, now its doing it again i've gotta also put a full bottle of brake fluid into it every single day its really starting to **** me off there has to be a leak in the line somewhere n e suggestions on what i am capable about doing in this scenerio???

Old 02-13-2007, 09:26 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: sponge brakes

that sounds like a big leak, can you see it dripping anywhere?

I would get some one to step on the brakes while you get underneath looking for leaks.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Cheeto23

Is there fluid collecting in the brake servo (vacuum booster)? If the rear of the master cylinder is leaking (into the servo), engine vacuum could be drawing it into the servo.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:54 PM
midnight.dakota1

i'm gonna try the get someone to step on the brakes idea i got no clue what in the hell is a stervo is

Old 02-14-2007, 12:00 AM
01dodgedriver
Rookie

probably some leaky wheel cylinders. the fluid is probibly soaking in to the brake dust. i would pull the rear drums off and take a look at them.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Put the truck on jack stands. Take all of the wheels off. Go through each brakecaliper (and/or drum)and have someone press the brakes while you inspect. If you can't find it, check all hard lines running from the fluid resivoir. Also, check under your driverside floormat and under the driverside dash, near the firewall. If you have fluid sitting around in there, it is your brake master cylinder. If you are losing that much fluid daily, it has to be going somewhere. Look for the puddling of the lost fluid, and that will tell you where your leak is coming from. I don't care how much brake dust you have, it is not going to hide that much fluid. However, to be safe, clean your wheels VERY WELL if you can't find the leak after doing everything stated before. When you put the clean wheels back on, drive it around for a day or two and look again. You should be able to see if it is leaking at the brake calipers.

This should be a simple fix. If you are losing as much fluid as you say you are, you should be able to find where it is going if you look hard enough.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Cheeto23

ORIGINAL: virused

...check under your driverside floormat and under the driverside dash, near the firewall. If you have fluid sitting around in there, it is your brake master cylinder.

It cannot end up under the floormat. Because these vehicles have pqwer brakes, the fluid would end up inside the power brake booster (the servo). This is the thing your master cylinder is bolted to, the big vacuum reservoir against the firewall.

Quick Reply: sponge brakes