2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 dakota slt center console

Old 02-17-2007, 02:22 AM
cbear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 dakota slt center console

Blame this one on the dog...I ran into the local home depot to grab a tube of caulk, When I came out, i went to get into my truck, where my chocolate lab was excitedly awaiting my return. When I told him to move out of the drivers seat (where he was waiting for me), he jumped over to the passanger side. Along the way, he managed to somehow get himself caught up with the center console and cracked the whole side off, along with the door. It was cold out, so im thinking the cheap plastic was probably brittle to begin with...and to top it all off, he never even called "shot-gun".Now, for allyou dog-lovers out there, I love my dog too, and I didnt get mad at him. I just thought to myself, "Hmmm. that's probably gonna be an expensive tube of caulk". So, my question is... "how much, really, am I looking at?" and does anyone know where I might find one. It's a 2002 dakota 4.7 4x4 leather interior with a dark gray/bluish console that has the storage area (that's the part that busted) and connects up to a removable cup holder, then into two more cup holders w/ adjustable holder arms, then into a tray sort of thing that is sort of under the dash area. Now, it looks to me like one big piece, which usually equates to one big price...or is it seperate parts? Could I replace just the compartment area (the door as well as the passanger/hinged side is cracked beyond repair) And, if any of you out there have any suggestions, please let me know your thoughts. Junkyard? used parts place? I looked on ebay and sites like that, with no luck, but maybe someone knows if a later or newer year, other then 2002, or maybe even another model like thedurango, if the console from that would fit??? Now, im in New Jersey, which the past couple days, its been an average of 10-15 degrees, so im not to eager to have to take it apart and figure out my options, so if any of you have any guiding light, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:33 PM
mikec04
Rookie
Default RE: 2002 dakota slt center console

There are a lot of plastic repair products on the market. 3M, Fusor, SEM to name a few. First determine what type of plastic it is (abs, smc, ect) SEM makes an excellent "problem plastic" repair kit. Might take reinforcement on the inside. Stop at your local auto paint supply house. (I'd try a Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes store first, but then they pay my bills) Or stop at a body shop and ask where they buy their supplies.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:51 PM
4x4kota
Veteran
Default RE: 2002 dakota slt center console

Well im almost 99.9% sure that that sounds exactly like my 01 slt club cabs console. so i hope that helps broaden your search. Other than that it sounds likeyour console is pretty destroyed. good luck on your search.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 dakota slt center console