2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

cv an axle shaft removeal

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:05 PM
IMA98cc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cv an axle shaft removeal

Hey guys.. i was trying to change a axle seal an i'm have trouble getting the cv boot shaft out of the way so i can get to the axle shaft it self. i have the hub nut off, an all the bolts from the axle shaft, but it won't move far enough to get the axle out... any tips should the shaft slide out thur the hub?an then down an away? thanks for any help.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:06 PM
IMA98cc
Default RE: cv an axle shaft removeal

i forgot it's a 4x4 front axle drivers side

Old 02-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Mike954
Rookie

The shaft theoretically shoud slide right out of the hub, but nothing is that easy.

Try puting a socket about the same sixe as the shaft in the huband knock it with a wooden hammer or rubber mallet. If that doesn't work then you will have to use a big two jaw puller. Unfortunately to use the puller you have to remove the caliper and disc.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Dickeydoo

What I did to get the axle chaft out was I took the upper ball joint off and the tie rod end off. The whole wheel assembly then could be pushed to the side a bit. After that I just muscled it out by pulling it back toward the truck and the end slid out. I tapped it with a mallet and a 1x1 piece of wood first to make sure it would move, then just pulled it out. You might need two people to do this, it was prety hard. Now that you mention this, I think i'll make a writeup for this, I did it last weekend. Hope this helps. Rich

Quick Reply: cv an axle shaft removeal