2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

big rack and pinion question??? asap

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:46 PM
kfickel
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default big rack and pinion question??? asap

ok is the inner tie rod part of the rack and pinion??? cause i did replace the inner tie rod on the driver side which the inspectors did say it was the driver side leaking on the rack... im waiting for the rain to stop to go back out and looks ome more since i dont have a garage,,, but is their a special way to put a inner tie rod on?????

Old 03-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Mike954
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: big rack and pinion question??? asap

The inner tie rod is a part of the steering function but not necessarily part of the rack itself. The inner t/r is attached to the rack and most of the time when you buy a rack the inner t/r 's are included. But if your rack is leaking then the t/r's are not your direct problem. You will need a new steering rack.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mike954

The inner tie rod is a part of the steering function but not necessarily part of the rack itself. The inner t/r is attached to the rack and most of the time when you buy a rack the inner t/r 's are included. But if your rack is leaking then the t/r's are not your direct problem. You will need a new steering rack.
Agreed.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:52 PM
kfickel
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well im really asking if you replace the inner tie rod like i did not tighting right could that cause a rack leak???

Quick Reply: big rack and pinion question??? asap