2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

front end conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 PM
JasonA
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: front end conversion

In my opinion, I would absolutely buy a Ram before I tried that on a Dakota. With solid axles and steering systems to go with them, you've got to know a lot about suspension geometry and wheel alignment to get it all to work properly together. Even Jeeps with lift kits (supposedly designed right by engineers) experience the "death wobble" in the front suspension...where stuff begins to harmonically vibrate and won't stop until you stop the vehicle. It's a very uncomfortable feeling -- you very much lose control of the vehicle until you physically stop.

And that's with lift kits. Kits. Unless you buy a dedicated kit to do a solid axle swap, you're just a guy in the back yard welding parts together. In my opinion, that can be a dangerous prospect. At best, you'll go through a LOT of trial and error and spend a lot of time and money to getsomewhere that's already beengotten to(Ram). At the worst, you may mis-judge a measurement by just a little and cut a brake line turning into a driveway or something weird, or you may lose control of the vehicle if you don't get the geometry set right and you get the "death wobble" so dreaded by Jeep guys.

I would seriously recommend that if you want a Dodge truck with a solid axle suspension, buy a Ram.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:44 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Well, the main reason for the upgrade would be if I do a 5.9L drop. I want it to handle the extra power...
I would be changing like everything on my dakota if I got to this stage. But I would probably get a shop to do the dirty work. I could do the rear myself. The front is a bit different. But it would be a very cool swap, also a dakota lifted 5.9 would rock most trucks in the bush. Especially a fullsize...

Old 03-27-2008, 06:28 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

I would LOOVE to so a SAS and a motor swap, id like a cummings i think . But i think i will take the lazy and safe road and just get a ram or a jeep and build that up. Just easier and cheaper. Not to mention that i dont have the money or the skill and dont see either in my near future

Old 03-30-2008, 01:05 AM
Twiztid
Veteran

This is not for someone who doesn't know suspension geometry to try. You would also need good welding skills. Although, if you have the knowledge or money, very cool conversion. Anyone can buy a jeep or Ram and do kits, but how often do you see a solid axle dak?

Also the 77-79 f250's had a dana 60 front option, so if you search around, you can find a axle's for a dana 60/60 swap.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:15 AM
Twiztid
Veteran

also foud this for gen 1 SAS.

Good write up using bronco axles

http://www.utahwest.com/Truck/conv.htm

Quick Reply: front end conversion