2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

fan removal

Old 10-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Ramrat
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan removal

ok all, i need to pick your brains, I have a 99 2wd sport with the 3.9. I have to change the water pump but don't have a wrench big enough to fit the nut, biggest I have is 1 inch, what size is it? I really don't want to put a pipe wrench on it if i don't need to

Old 10-16-2008, 07:33 PM
dohertyr

its 36 mm but a monkey wrench works great. I took the belt off and put a strap wrench around the waterpump pully. then a monkey wrench around the nut. counterclockwise by the way. tap it a little and It will come off. also there are tons of old posts on different ways to do it. some say they dont need the strap wrench but mine would not budge without it. i just asked this question last week. lots of good answers. richie

Old 10-16-2008, 08:10 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Could somebody like post a video?
Anybody?
I don't want to mess anything up.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:50 PM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way to do it is to take a 36mm wrench, put it on the water pump pulley with the belt still on it and take a hammer and give the wrench a few good hits straight down. It should break loose without having to hold the pulley with another tool. Thats how I do it at the shop anyway and it almost always works

Old 10-16-2008, 11:42 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Like an open end wrench?

Do you do that after you take the fan off?

EDIT: Is that to take the fan off? Pardon my ignorance, i've only dealt with v8's for a few weeks.

Last edited by MadisonDakota; 10-16-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:17 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MadisonDakota
Like an open end wrench?

Do you do that after you take the fan off?

EDIT: Is that to take the fan off? Pardon my ignorance, i've only dealt with v8's for a few weeks.
Yes he is telling you how how to take the Clutch Fan off.

The way i did it... was like this.

Took out Coolant/Washer Shroud tossed that piece in the garbage (weight reduce) lol.
Took off Belt
Put a Alen Wrench in one of the small holes on the water pump pulley till it wouldnt move.
Grabbed my monkey wrench and a hammer.
One good pop with the hammer counter clockwise (to the left facing the engine)

and it busted loose.

Taking it off and running an electric fan is better.

Frees up a few horses and takes stress off the water pump. Some say its good for about 5hp to the Rear end.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:50 PM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey User, what did you do for washer fluid reservoir and coolant overflow? I thought about getting bottles for a 97-99 Dak but I'm not sure they will work.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:57 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 00DakR/T
Hey User, what did you do for washer fluid reservoir and coolant overflow? I thought about getting bottles for a 97-99 Dak but I'm not sure they will work.
Window washer fluid is just extra weight i didn't need. I took it out and hid the hoses and sensor plug, and for the overflow tank. I built one out of PVC from home depot.

I bought 3" 2foot pipe and cut it in half (they don't sale 1 foot stupid???)) with a 3" cap for the bottom and a 3" Top with a 1" opening so i could make a cap for it.

The Cap is also PVC but you have to get some plexy (sp?) glass or something clear that wont melt in bay temps and cut it to make it fit in the cap so it doesn't leak out.

Then i drilled a hole at the bottom and screwed in a brass fitting, i also drilled another hole about 3/4 up from the bottom and put in another brass fitting, then ran hoses, the bottom brass fitting will run to the radiator cap overflow, the other hose at the top will run out the side and to the bottom of the truck so if the bottle gets to full it will overflow out the hose and not explode or leak all in the engine bay.

Then i painted it and mounted it to my electric fan bracket with some of those metal circle screw tightening things lol.... after all the work of building it i didn't want to spend more time making a damn bracket... im lazy!

Mine is always empty anyways due to having a heater core leak, so i don't think it has ever been full.

So overall, its about 1.3 foot long, 3" Diameter, and probably holds about 1qt of fluid.. alot of dumbass people ask me if its my Nitrous Bottle... -_-

Old 10-19-2008, 10:09 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

lol should tell them yes and see what they say back

Old 10-19-2008, 09:59 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is what guys on another board use for a overflow bottle https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/70233-2000-factory-service-manual-pfd-download.html and i can't find the pic of a very easy way to remove the fan but this should help for the overflow bottle. as for windshield washer bottle if you need it or want it any type of plastic bottle will work. just use a soldering iron and cut out two holes that are the size of the sensor and pump and put the little grommet in the hole then insert the sensor and pump. haven't done this but thats how someone explained it to me since i plan on it eventually

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fan removal