2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

P0441

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:28 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Angry P0441

I have a 2001 Club Cab, 126,300 miles on it. 3.9 and a 5-speed manual. Some of you here may know I had a wreck 3 weeks ago, damage was almost $4,000 but that was mostly labor. I got my truck back from the body shop 2 days ago, everytning was OK. Now today the CEL is on, I did the key dance and got code P0441. The code chart says it is an evap code and could be any number of things, from a broken emission/evap hose to a faulty purge solenoid or leak detection pump.

I will go over the truck and try to find the cause when I get home, maybe it is something the body shop left unplugged or they kinked a hose putting it back together. I got hit on the left front corner, and the evap pump is mounted on the left front fenderwell by the battery. If the pump is bad I guess I have to get the body shop involved again.

Anybody here find a definite cause and remedy for P0441?

Thanks for any help.

Jimmy

Old 04-21-2010, 04:34 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same code on a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee was a cracked purge canister as a result of Jeep / deer game of chicken (deer lost). It was the top of the canister and you could see a hairline crack if you looked at it just right. Body shop fixed it up without a problem upon a slight fit being thrown by me.

Don't know how "definite" it is, but you gotta start somewhere...

Old 04-21-2010, 05:09 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

I might have found the problem already. I checked it here at work, I was on a break. Right at the test port for the evap system, one of the hoses was cracked and split in about 4 different places. A couple of the splits were all the way through the hose, and it was split lengthwise about an inch and a half down from the end of the hose. I just cut the split end off and pulled a little slack in the hose and stuck it back on the test port. Will need to drive it and see if the code clears, or clear it myself at home.

Jimmy

Old 04-22-2010, 09:51 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

I stopped at Advance yesterday on my way home and had them clear the code. I have put about 70 miles on my truck since then and the cel is still off, so maybe that cracked hose end was all that was wrong. Will drive it and see if the code comes back I guess.

Jimmy

Old 04-23-2010, 09:46 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Well, I have gone about 100 miles and had about 15 or 20 start cycles since I had the code cleared and the CEL has not come back on yet. Maybe that cracked hose was all that was wrong.

Jimmy

Old 04-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats gotta be it, usually it will come back on round 50mi, good thing it was something cheap

Old 04-23-2010, 10:30 PM
rpowell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had to replace my vaccum lines last year and haven't had the code come up again.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:40 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Code came back up again on my way home today, same P0441 code. I checked all the hoses under the truck at the evap canister and under the hood at the purge solenoid, throttle body and leak detection pump. I didn't see or find any cracks or loose hoses. So I figured I would start with the cheapest and easiest thing first and bought a new gas cap at Advance. They cleared the code for me too.

I wonder if the LDP didn't get damaged in the wreck. The body shop had to replace the battery tray, so if it broke that the wreck could very easily have broken the LDP too. My truck has to go back to the body shop anyway to have the front grille replaced anyway so maybe they can check the LDP too. Maybe they have a smoke machine and can check the whole evap system.

If anyone has any more ideas, I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

Jimmy

Old 05-01-2010, 08:39 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

CEL came back on 2 days ago after installing a new gas cap and clearing the code again. Same P0441 code. I went back over all the emissions hoses under the hood and at the gas tank very carefully. In the process I unplugged the power distribution center to get a better look at the hoses going to the leak detection pump. I found no cracked or broken hoses anywhere. I also learned that if the gas cap were bad, I would probably have code P0442. So I am getting a refund on the gas cap.

When I buttoned everything back up after that, guess what--the CEL was off. I figure that is due to disconnecting the power distribution center.

I think that since the accident was a hard enough hit to break the battery tray, it probably broke the LDP too, it is mounted under the bottom side of the battery tray. A new LDP is $129.00 from the Dodge dealer. I don't want to spend $129.00 and have the new LDP not fix the problem, so I got one for $20.00 today from a "cash for clunkers" truck at a local junk yard. When the yard got the donor truck it was running, so I figure the used LDP is still in good shape.

I will put in this used LDP today and drive the truck and see if the code comes back. It has taken a few days each time for the code to reappear, or maybe I could see if AAP will scan for pending codes.

Any other info or help is greatly appreciated.

Jimmy

Old 05-01-2010, 02:19 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

I installed the new (used) LDP today, and while I was at it I replaced all the emissions hoses under the hood and I replaced the right angle hoses attaching the hoses to the purge solenoid. The only one I didn't replace was the big one leading from the LDP to the plastic hose from the evap canister back by the gas tank. It's a molded hose, Advance doesn't sell it so I have to get it from the dealer. It looks to be in very good shape though, so I will leave it alone for now. If the code comes back, I guess I will start with that hose first. I did a hard reset on the PCM while I had the battery out too. I can get the purge solenoid and the evap canister at Advance pretty cheap if I need them. For now just gonna drive it and see if teh code comes back.

Quick Reply: P0441