2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

ABS and Brake light

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:31 PM
JRB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and Brake light

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum and tried the search feature without much luck so I apologize if this has been answered a million times. I have a 2000 4wd Dakota. The ABS and Brake lights are on. I tried pulling the code and just get 'P done'. Any ideas on how to diagnose this problem?

Thanks,
John

Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99% of the time it's a bad ABS sensor on the rear diff. It's located on the passenger side top. Very simple to replace by disconnecting the wiring connector, removing one bolt and slide it out.

If you're also having trouble with your speedometer not wanting to work below 20mph, then it's definitely the sensor.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:13 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran

to pull codes on brake light and ABS light actually takes a more advanced scanner. so no surprise in that. Pull the sensor, if its in pieces which they usually are when they are bad...replace it. if not, replace it anyway, cheap as hell...

Old 06-03-2010, 12:58 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bwdakrt is right but I have also had those lights show up when I was low on brake fluid I know that for a fact cause I blew my rear brake line and they didnt go away till the line was replaced and were bled good

Old 06-03-2010, 07:08 PM
JRB
Default Thanks

Thanks for the hints. I'm on the road this week and will take a look on Saturday.

Quick Reply: ABS and Brake light