2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New slippers

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010 | 10:07 PM
magnethead
|
Legend
Default New slippers

I spent 3 days shopping on Tire rack, looking through the longest mileage truck tires. The consensus came to the Firestone Destination A/T's. Most of TR's reviews said 75-80-100,000 miles. Firestone gives them a 50K warranty.

Also had them do an alignment- I was .85 degrees toed out. Took them 45 minutes just to do the alignment (with 3 guys doing it).

I don't have a pic of the whole truck yet. But here's the fitment pics.

Old 07-01-2010 | 10:24 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

I have those same tires in 31 x 10.50 and have been quite happy with them. They are a nice compromise between all weather traction and ride quality. I have about 50,000 on mine and will likely be replacing them this year. For some reason, I tend to wear one of the rear tires faster than the others, so I never get the most mileage possible

If I didn't shove the pedal through the floor on regular occasions, I have no doubt they would have lasted considerably longer than they did...but, considering the BFGs I had before that went for 25,000 miles, I think they were a really good investment.

Old 07-01-2010 | 10:52 PM
magnethead
|
Legend

Ditto. My goodyears went 24K, toyos were about halflife after 16K. I was looking for a long range tire, think I found it.

Mine are 31.6 x 10.5" aspect width, maybe 9" tread width? Do your 10.5's rub when you turn?

Old 07-01-2010 | 11:45 PM
McNasy
Veteran

i have been getting 60k plus out of my tires, with a lot of tread left too. mine dry rot or tread separate before they wear out. man i hate all wheel drive. no spinning the tires for me. i have been sticking with the stock goodyears since i bought the truck 8 years ago. im gunna get somthing differant this time around. maybe in a few months, what do you folks suggest? i do alot of freeway driving, around 140 miles a day.

Old 07-02-2010 | 12:04 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by McNasy
i have been getting 60k plus out of my tires, with a lot of tread left too. mine dry rot or tread separate before they wear out. man i hate all wheel drive. no spinning the tires for me. i have been sticking with the stock goodyears since i bought the truck 8 years ago. im gunna get somthing differant this time around. maybe in a few months, what do you folks suggest? i do alot of freeway driving, around 140 miles a day.
I like those Destination AT's, they are a good looking tire. I have Firestone Destination LE's. 235/75R15. They have been a great tire, run really smooth and quiet on the highway. I have about 30,000 miles on them and still have half to 3/4 of the tread left. I rotate them every 5 to 6000 miles. I got a great deal on them at Tires Plus $422.00 including tax and lifetime balance/rotation and road hazard policy.

You see a lot of trucks here in Florida with Destination LE's and AT's on them, I guess there are a lot of Tires Plus and other places that sell them. They are a good long lasting tire for highway use, and at a good price too. I like their agressive tread pattern. I still get pretty good MPG with them too. Maybe check some LE's for highway use.

Jimmy

Old 07-05-2010 | 12:54 AM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

Originally Posted by magnethead
Ditto. My goodyears went 24K, toyos were about halflife after 16K. I was looking for a long range tire, think I found it.

Mine are 31.6 x 10.5" aspect width, maybe 9" tread width? Do your 10.5's rub when you turn?
The only time they have ever rubbed is on a very specific turn that I make maybe once or twice a week (I try to avoid it as there are two lanes, but sometimes I get stuck on the inside). There is about a 6-8 inch depression where the road surface meets the gutter, and if I go around that corner with the wheel cranked and hit that depression, I will get a minor rub that lasts about a half second.

By comparison, the headers on my Mustang will scrape if I hit that same spot. Only place the car does that short of some insane driveway approach that's at like a 45 degree angle.

Old 07-05-2010 | 10:58 AM
magnethead
|
Legend

Originally Posted by alleymad99SLT
The only time they have ever rubbed is on a very specific turn that I make maybe once or twice a week (I try to avoid it as there are two lanes, but sometimes I get stuck on the inside). There is about a 6-8 inch depression where the road surface meets the gutter, and if I go around that corner with the wheel cranked and hit that depression, I will get a minor rub that lasts about a half second.

By comparison, the headers on my Mustang will scrape if I hit that same spot. Only place the car does that short of some insane driveway approach that's at like a 45 degree angle.
I just realized yours is a 4x4 V8. So you have a stiffer front suspension than I do. That's why I wondered how those fit.

Quick Reply: New slippers