2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Intermittent Rough Idle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:42 PM
sonick42
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Rough Idle?

So I just got a 98 Dodge Dakota with the 3.9 a week ago and I am having an issue with it. About 1 out of every 10 times I drive it, it will have a rough idle from the start and stay that way, running very sluggish, until about 15 mph. Once I hit 15 mph it's off to the races and running great again. I have no clue what is causing this. It has a new TPS along with a throttle body spacer. However, the catalytic converter has been removed and it is straight piped, but I would imagine that if that was the problem that it wouldn't be intermittent like it is.

Any help would be great. I've searched these forums and searched google for hours now and can't find anything.

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2014, 09:42 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

throttle body spacers do nothing for fuel injected autos

You need to clean the throttle body

Old 08-03-2014, 09:53 PM
sonick42

Yeah, I didn't put the spacer on it, the previous owner did. I will get the throttle body cleaned and let you know what happens. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:08 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Clean the Idle Air Control valve (IAC) while you are at it. Best way to clean the IAC and TB too is to remove it from the intake, then remove the IAC, Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensors from the TB. Then you can use a shop rag soaked in TB cleaner to gently clean the black crusty crud off the pintle end. Put a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil on the shaft to lubricate it. Do not move the shaft in and out, it will damage the stepper motor.

Then clean the TB with a rag and TB cleaner. be sure to clean the IAC orifice on the TB and lubricate the IAC's o-ring with clean motor oil. Spray the springs and linkages on the TB with spray silicone and use a new gasket when you reinstall the TB.

Jimmy

Old 08-03-2014, 10:14 PM
sonick42

I was looking online because I've never done anything with a throttle body and I saw something about removing the throttle body can throw the computer off. Do I need to worry about that?

Old 08-03-2014, 10:23 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

No it won't cause any problems with the PCM, other than you may notice a change or improvement in the idle after you drive the truck a few miles. That is not because anything is wrong, it's just the PCM adjusting to the now-cleaned IAC. Just be sure the ignition is off before you disconnect and then re-connect the sensors.

JImmy

Quick Reply: Intermittent Rough Idle?