2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dakota no start...please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:09 PM
breeaad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota no start...please help!!

Hi all. I will be as detailed as I can. I have a 2nd gen Dodge Dakota with a 3.9L 5 speed driveline. Ran like a top until the other day it failed to start. Doing some checking, this is what I know and what I have done: Truck has no spark and no injector pulse, but has fuel pressure and the ASD is cycling as would be expected when the key is turned on. I checked the crank sensor for 5V pulse and it was not present so I replaced it. I checked the cam sensor (pick-up coil) for the 5V pulse and it was not present so I changed it. I realize this probably wasn't necessary, but I know these are prone to failure so I didn't mind. Still no 5V pulse at either sensor. I have a total of 5 troble codes stores in the PCM:
1) P0113: Intake air temp sensor high circuit
2) P0443 Evap emission system purge control valve circuit
3) P0123 TPS "A" circuit high voltage
4) P0118 Coolant circuit high voltage
5) P1492 Battery temp sensor voltage high
I have been through the wiring and I don't see any loose or bad grounds. I have verified all fuses in both boxes are good. I am unsure where to go at this point besides buying a replacement PCM. Any thoughts on what would cause a no start and all these high voltage error codes? Please help!!!!

Old 05-10-2016, 08:26 AM
ChrystalS

Hello, I know that you stated you checked your grounds. But aree they connected in the correct places?

Old 05-17-2016, 03:22 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year? Do you have the service manual? Or a voltmeter? Need to check the ground and reference voltage on those sensors. They are possibly sharing a reference voltage.

What did you use to check the cam and crank sensor output with? You will only see millivolts with a meter with the engine running.

Is the ASD relay clicking? That isn't good.

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 05-17-2016 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-19-2024, 06:20 AM
Chetti2

Originally Posted by breeaad
Hi all. I will be as detailed as I can. I have a 2nd gen Dodge Dakota with a 3.9L 5 speed driveline. Ran like a top until the other day it failed to start. Doing some checking, this is what I know and what I have done: Truck has no spark and no injector pulse, but has fuel pressure and the ASD is cycling as would be expected when the key is turned on. I checked the crank sensor for 5V pulse and it was not present so I replaced it. I checked the cam sensor (pick-up coil) for the 5V pulse and it was not present so I changed it. I realize this probably wasn't necessary, but I know these are prone to failure so I didn't mind. Still no 5V pulse at either sensor. I have a total of 5 troble codes stores in the PCM:
1) P0113: Intake air temp sensor high circuit
2) P0443 Evap emission system purge control valve circuit
3) P0123 TPS "A" circuit high voltage
4) P0118 Coolant circuit high voltage
5) P1492 Battery temp sensor voltage high
I have been through the wiring and I don't see any loose or bad grounds. I have verified all fuses in both boxes are good. I am unsure where to go at this point besides buying a replacement PCM. Any thoughts on what would cause a no start and all these high voltage error codes? Please help!!!!
Okay so I know this is an old thread but definitely went through this with my 92 and I ended up throwing every darn part at it that I could possibly learn that could have something to do with anything that was happening and it ended up being the computer itself so you might want to look into that if this situation were to happen to you

Quick Reply: Dakota no start...please help!!