2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

04 Dakota RWAL bleeding questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:15 PM
Justin2504
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Dakota RWAL bleeding questions

I have an 04 Dakota with rear wheel ABS only. 2WD auto with V8. I have a Snap on Solus Pro. My only options to actuate anything in the ABS are a power relay, rear dump valve and rear isolation valve. I know a DRB will make bleeding easier. I don't have one. My questions are these.

1. The control unit is a single box near the brake cylinder that only has one line in and one out with a wire harness. If one wheel starts to lock I assume this unit stops it. How? I do not see room for an accumulator or a pump in this little guy.

2. Is it where all of the solenoid I can actuate are?

3. Is there any sequence to actuate these solenoids while bleeding and what state does the pedal need to be in during the solenoid actuation?

4. Is anyone familiar with using this tools for the bleeding?

This is all because there still seems to be air in the system after a master cylinder replacement. Yes, the cyliner was bench bled. Thanks for any help you can add.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:42 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

The solenoids are the 2 vertical silver cans. The accumulator piston faces the firewall (i think) and is under one of the lines (input I believe). I wouldn't know as I deleted my ABS because I got tired of it's ^$#@. If it detects lockup or chatter in the ring gear speed sensor, it disables the brakes for both rear wheels (the single line going back).

Old 11-20-2017, 10:34 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Bleed in the proper sequence and exercise the ABS on gravel or wet road. It that doesn't work, try gravity bleeding.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:14 AM
canopus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bleed in the proper sequence then use the Snap On Solus to activate the Rear ABS system, then bleed again.