2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

anyone have a double u-joint front d-shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:53 PM
dirtpiler
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have a double u-joint front d-shaft?

im looking into replacing my front driveshaft with one of 3 different ones i have found online that have two u-joints instead of one and the cv joint end, the cheapest is 250, and most is 350, main reason being the rebuild kit is 140, and the cheapest junkyard one i found is 150, and two u-joints just sounds stronger and longer lasting i just want to know if there are any problems such as vibrations, length etc. thanks guys

Old 03-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Time 2 Merc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually in the process of replacing my front drive shaft. I have a 4x4 issue and think I narrowed it down to the cv joint side of the shaft being messed up. There is no boot on it any longer.

Now keep in mind my truck is a manual, and the replacement at napa auto for a manual has two u joints. Thing is the old one on my truck has a cv joint and a u joint. Im actually wondering myself if it matters having two you joints on the shaft.

So just like you I'm wondering, but i think it would be less of a problem. One rumor I've heard of is binding over time.

Quick Reply: anyone have a double u-joint front d-shaft?