2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Need some information/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:57 AM
nuci
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some information/opinions

Hi. I am new to posting here, but not new to the forums.I have been lurking for a while and have gained a ton of knowledge here. I purchased my Durango a month ago and I am having some issues that the dealership hasn't been able to resolve to my satisfaction. I have an '06 SLT, 4.7, auto transmission. It is still under the factory warranty. A week ago I noticed my transmission shifting hard at times and shuddering at the end of a shift sometimes. These 2 things doesn't happened all the time, just at random times. Then a few days later I began to hear a noise when moving the gear shift lever from park into reverse. This noise is a metallic type of noise and doesn't last very long, only a second or two. People who have heard it say it reminds them of two cog wheels meshing together and working against one another. I took the Durango into the dealership and first they told me that they didn't hear anything, after having my vehicle for 4 days, they finally admitted to hearing the sound, but said it was a normal sound. They said it was the servo motor that engages the gears and it isnormal for it to make this noise. As for the shifting issues, they said they put it on the computer and there wasn't any codes that showed it was shifting incorrectly. I have had my Durango back for 2 days now and I am still hearing and feeling the same things as before. Have any of you had an issue like this? Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing the bad shifting and the noise? I would be very grateful to anyone who could help me out, I have only had this vehicle for a month, but I have gotten very attached to it and would hate for a major problem to occur if it can be prevented. Thank you in advance for any and all replies. Nuci

Old 04-01-2007, 09:30 PM
DODGEFAN77
Default RE: Need some information/opinions

There is a TSB out but im not sure if your vehicle is affected by it or not. It has something to do with it coming out of park and into neutral. You might check on the website 2ndgenerationgdurangos.com and see if yours is affected.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:52 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NUCI:
The sounds that you hear for a second or two are indeed the solenoids in the tranny actuating to route fluid the proper directionand pressure based upon what gear you have selected. That sound is normal for Dodge/Chrysler trannies. My wifes 05 GCV makes the same noises as does my 01 Durango.

I assume that you bought your Durango new which means you should have plenty of warranty left. Just keep an eye/earon the shifting and if there is an issue you should eventually get an MIL light.
If you are like me and remember the days of the non electronically controlled trannies, this new computer controlled stuff takes a little getting used to.

If it continues to happen, take the mech for a ride with you and show him what you mean. That may be what it takes to get the point across. At least you will have things documented if problems develop down the road.

Don

Old 04-03-2007, 01:02 AM
nuci

Thanks for the replies. I will check into the TSB's and I will also keep paying attention to the tranny. It all has me a little on edge. I have this phobia about breaking down and being stranded on the side of the road. Once again, I really appreciate the replies.Thank you. Nuci

Quick Reply: Need some information/opinions