2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Will this really smoke my transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:24 AM
05SilverHemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this really smoke my transfer case?

I've got an 04 D with AWD. My right front tire has a bubble in it so I was going to replace both front tires. The tires all have about 1/2 tread. When I went to the tire shop they are telling me I must change all 4 tires because the diameter of tire changes so much that I will smoke the t-case if I do not.

I understand that the overall diameter of the tire does change over time as the tire wears. However, I kinda think they are feeding me a line of ****. Obviously changing all 4 would be best, but I only want to if I have to.

Looking at the big picture if I am going to smoke the transfer case then I will change all 4 as I know they wont change my t-case under warranty if it blows up that way.

Anyone run into this? Thoughts?

Old 05-29-2007, 07:20 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Will this really smoke my transfer case?

He's full of **** indeed. YES a difference in real tire sizes from side to side would/could make a difference. However the same tire size, one new on one side and one half new on the other side would/should be just fine.

AND don't buy them there. Go elsewhere and THEN go back and show the guys boss your nice new tire and business they lost out on for being predatory and inaccurate.

IndyDurango

Old 05-29-2007, 07:47 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only time I have ever known this to be a problem was on full time AWD vehicles...

Old 05-29-2007, 10:00 PM
mohle

Assuming that you have the NV244 transfer case, depending on the diameter difference - yes it can "smoke" your transfer case. As per the last post, your D is AWD and it is full time withactive torquedistribution. There is no 2wd. The problem is the difference in rolling circumference between the front vs. back. If you read your manual it will state that problems with the 4wd system can even come if you are running different tire pressures. Torque binding of the drive train is also increased over long distance driving andcan adversely affect the handling of your Durango. The torque binding is what will kill the transfer case. A difference in rolling circumference can also upsetsome of the electronics such as your stability control, if yourshas it.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:14 PM
05SilverHemi
Veteran

So basically what it comes down to is it seems as if I will be fine to put on two new front tires but there is a slim chance that something will happen?

This pretty much seems like a crap shoot! Since I still have my original tires (running Ram 20's now) and 40k miles on my powertrain warranty I am going to roll the dice and take my chances.

Quick Reply: Will this really smoke my transfer case?