2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

New to second Generation

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Carver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to second Generation

Hi Everyone.

Just traded my Excusrion in for a 2005 5.7 Durango. I have had a 1998 1500 4x4 then a 2000 Durango then a 2002 1500 Quad cab so I have been around a few Dodges, but have not been paying any attention to things of late, until yesterday when I bought this 2005.
It says on the oil fill cap and the manual to use 5w/20 for oil. What is the reason for going to light with the oil? and is that for year round use ( summer heat and winter cold)?
Not to start a range war but what (if anything) is the prefered brand?

Thanks
Carver

Old 07-23-2007, 10:43 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to second Generation

Carver:

Congrats on the new ride.
I am sure you will get lots of good feedback from folks here. As for your oil question, as long as you run a good brand name, you should be ok. IMO even the factory dealer oil is ok as long as you change it at appropriate intervals.

I prefer to run synthetic oils (Mobil 1 in my case) due to the cold winters and hot summers we have here in Ohio.

I firstcame across the 5w20 oil in 2001 as Fordbegan to spec it for some of their vehicles that year. Since then, Honda and Chrysler have followed suit.
ResearchIhave done mainly indicated thatbetter fuel economy was behind the change because the oil is thinner (thus less friction). BTW, the 5.7 Hemi motor requires the 5w20 oil to allow its MDS system to operate properly.

Don

Old 07-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Carver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Don!
So far we are really liking this Durango, though I have not drove it since I got to drive it home from the dealers. I am normally on my bike this time of year. I run Mobil1 in the bikes and will most likely do the same in this.
You can tell I have been out of the loop, while I had heard rumor of MDS when it first came about I did not follow it. Now that I have heard more I was wondering how you could tell if you had it or not as I did not see it printed on the truck anywhere or in the manual ( which I did not really read).
I am happy to be away from the v10 I was feeding in the Excursion, though I have to admit it was by far my favorite SUV other then the feed bill.
Thanks Again for the help.
Curt

Old 07-25-2007, 02:08 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curt:
Glad to hear you are enjoying the D. IIRC, the MDS system was introduced in 05 on the then new 06 models.

Anyway, check your owners manual and see what oil is called for. If you see 5w20, then you probaly have the MDS. If you see 5w30, then I would say you do not.

Don

Quick Reply: New to second Generation