2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

How do you replace a rear tailight?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:16 PM
callie522
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you replace a rear tailight?

I have a 2006 Dodge Durango Hemi, 4x4, Hubby backed into something and broke the rear pass side tailight. He had back surgery so he cannot do anything. I would like to do this myself. I seen the 2 bolts on the left side of the tailight when I opened my tailgate....but there are two on the right side that are into the rear quarter panel...how do I get access to those bolts? can i get to those by removing the splash guard? Or can I get access to those by removing the inside panel ???? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have received good advice on here before. And good advice is saving me money from taking it into a dealer or auto repair place.. I am really glad I found this web site.
thanks!!!
Callie522 (Pam)

Old 03-06-2008, 05:51 AM
DurangoJoe
Default RE: How do you replace a rear tailight?

I just had to do this on my 04 Durango so the procedure should be the same. I managed to back into a fallen branch wedged in a fence Let me say that I suggest you purchase an oem style tail light lense (assuming only your plastic lense was damaged as mine was) from e-bay. You can get a lense from an aftermarket manufacturer that is the same exact quality as OEM at a fair discount from the cost of a dealer. I purchased from a seller by the name of "choicebumper" and it is an exact match with the factory left side housing on my D.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=280039500037

Anyway...

Step 1) Those two weird plastic bolt looking things on the right side of the housing (if I remember correctly) that had me stumped for a while are "pull fastners". Essentially...the section in the middle of the pull fastners is what you need to pull out. I'm sure they make some super special tool that makes this simple...but after a few attempts with a pair of pliers...that didn't help much, I ended up using a screwdriver to leverage the center section out enough so that I would be able to get a better grip and finish pulling it with the pliers. Once the center section of the pull fastner is loose...you should be able to pull it out from the outer plastic circle...not entirely from the little plastic circle it sits in...but until it hangs out loose. After that the other outer section just pulls out easily because the center section is no longer keeping it locked in.

Step 2) At this point you should be able to remove the entire housing. I believe on the other side of the taillight housing there is a simple spring loaded push clamp that you can move with your hand easily. Pull the taillight housing out slowly and disconnect the wiring. I believe there are one or two wire plugs that are very simple to disconnect by clamping the sides with your fingers and pulling.

Step 3) This is the part where I was most annoyed. You now have the housing out and you can see there are 3 "star" type screws holding the rear black bulb housing to the front lense housing. Even with a decent assortment of tools at hand.... for the life of me I could find no "star" screwdriver. My suggestion to you is that you take the entire housing in to an autozone or similar store and ask them to find the right screwdriver for you. I was impatient at the time...because I had a long road trip ahead of me later in the day....and I did not want to get pulled over and ticketed for a broken tail light....so I ended up drilling the heads off of those screws to remove the black bulb housing from the old broken lense. I'd suggest you get the screwdriver

Step 4) Hopefully you purchased the proper "star" screwdriver and you didn't have to maul your housing the way I did. Carefully seperate what is left of your lense housing from the black bulb housing once the screws are out. The bulbs just sit right in there so pull it out straight and slowly so you don't damage them. Don't touch the bulbs with your fingers either. The oils in your hand will cause hot spots and the bulbs will die earlier from it if you do. Slowly lower the black bulb housing into your new lense. Put the 3 screws back in to secure it to the new lense. Make sure it is sealed together flush.

Step 5) Your new housing and lense are ready to go back in now. Plug the wiring back in securely. It should snap right back in. Slowly slide the entire assembly back in at an angle until it is in correctly. Put the "pull fastners" back in once the new tail light is in place and push the center section of the fastners back in. Your tail light should be in tight and secure now. Make sure to test your lights with someone in back watching. The brake light...turn signal light...and backup light. If any of them don't work you damaged a bulb either during the install or during your accident. You will have to remove the assembly again....unscrew the 3 star screws...and put in replacement bulb(s) for any that are not working. They are very cheap at an auto parts store and the clerk can look up what you need for your vehicle.

Hope this helps...and be sure to get either the left or right specific tail light lense wherever you get your replacement.

J

Old 03-10-2008, 01:21 PM
callie522
Default RE: How do you replace a rear tailight?

Thank you sooo much... I did it and it is all fixed now. Now I am getting warning lights again on my dash.... Lights that are on are ABS, Airbag and Brake lights. Have no clue as to why those are on now. thank you again for your Step by Step guide. It was really quite easy.
Pam

Quick Reply: How do you replace a rear tailight?