2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2006 Durango Tow Wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:32 AM
kc8wx
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Durango Tow Wiring problem

Found out this weekend something not quite right on my Mopar Dealer Installed 7 Pin Round Trailer Towing Receptacle.

I tow a camper no problem, Clearance/Tail lights work fine using the 7 Pin Round Plug.

This weekend I used a 7 Pin Round Adapter to 4 Pin Flat and I had no Tail Lights on the
U-Haul Dolly or the Magnetic Towing Lights on the car.

I determined with a Volt Meter and Light Tester that I have no Voltage on the Tail Pin or the 12v+ Pin (Battery Feed) for campers in the Mopar 7 Pin Round Receptacle. I would think that the Tail should show Voltage when the Parker Lamps are on and the 12v+ would always show Voltage from the Battery or at least if the key or engine on. I can't figure this out why the pins show dead, yet if I plug in my Camper 7 Pin Round Plug I Do have Clearance/Tail Lights.

I ordered a new Chrysler 7 pin to 4 pin Adapter that I will have today, but the wiring pinouts look the same as the brand I already have. I thought maybe Mopar Part was doing some internal Bridging that would make the Tail cross over to the 4 Pin Flat Plug?
Doesn't make sense to me why I don't see Tail Voltage and 12v+ Battery Voltage at the rear of the vehicle, yet when the Camper plugs in with a 7 Pin Round, the Trailer Marker Lights and Tail work just fine.

I checked to make sure the Relays were good in the PDC. I did however find that where a 20 amp fuse is plugged in the PDC where it says Tow, that one leg of the Fuse Socket is missing! That 20A fuse is not electrically in the circuit. Not sure if Dealer that Installed Hitch and Wiring Kit missed this or what. Maybe that is where my missing 12v+ feed is supposed to come from?? It's under warranty so if this Mopar 7 pin to 4 Pin Adapter doesn't work, then guess I will have local Dealer see if they can figure it out.

Any ideas what might be going on with missing voltages on Tail and 12v+ Pins on truck??
I was sure I had Tailights a year and a half ago when I used a different U-Haul Tow Dolly, because we actually ran at night on that trip. Makes me think that 20a socket pin that is missing maybe dropped out of the hole down into the PDC and has caused this.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm thinking a grounding problem! Not too sure why the pin is missing tho?

Old 10-21-2008, 09:29 PM
kc8wx
Amateur

Got the D back from the shop today, was under warranty so took it in. Didn't take them long. Found an Inline Fuse holder for a large Blade 20A Fuse that was blown. The Fla Dealer that did the Mopar Hitch and Wiring Kit install put this there. I now have the 12Volt feed for the RV Battery charging again and Tow Lights. Looks like I need to go up to a 30A since this one fuse is handling Clearance Lights and Battery Charging plus I added a Power Jack this Spring and probably hitting that 12V line too hard initially when running the Jack.

Apparently the Trailer Lights were running off the RV Battery (noticed they were getting dim on the last trip.) Somehow the Parker Relay was turning on the Clearance Lights but not using power from the D and since the 12V + was down also, RV Battery would get weaker and weaker. At least I know where this extra non-factory Fuse is installed now.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:47 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

1. The clearance lights should be on the same line as the tail light being powered off the truck. This needs to be re-wired.

2. The battery charge cable should be hot all the time wether there is a key in the truck turned on or not and should go directly into the trailer battery. This is the right way to do it and also if you ever run the battery down all you have to do is pull the truck to the tongue of the trailer and plug it in for the extra power. Just don't run your truck battery down too much or you'll be stuck!

You need to take it back and have them wire this thing right!

Old 10-22-2008, 10:14 AM
kc8wx
Amateur
Default 2006 Durango Tow Wiring problem

I do have Tail Lights now on proper pin with Parker Truck Lights switched on and off. I also do have 12V + on the Charging BATT Pin, Hot all the time. BUT, some how they have to be bridging the 12V and Tail because that Fuse had taken Both Pins out. Should be Separate 12V+ run to Socket, not 12V Charging feed Bridged to Parker/Tail Lights Relay and Pin. No wonder it blew the 20A. Maybe I can find that BATT Wire under hood and split it off to a separate 20A Fuse Direct to Battery in truck. I wired in the Brake Controller with a Relay and my Ham Radio up there so could do that and would be better for the RV.

Quick Reply: 2006 Durango Tow Wiring problem