2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2004 durango 4.7 #4 cyl misfire.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:32 PM
rah1420
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, managed to get the valve cover off dodging the raindrops this weekend. I did this removing only the air box. I had not one, but two rockers off - #4 and #6 both sitting in the bottom of the head.

Couple observations, looking for some suggestions now.

RIX you mentioned you "popped it back in." Did you need that service tool? Or did you find another way to get the rockers back in?

There is a small bit of debris on the cam. More on the cam shaft itself, but a little bit on a couple lobes. Should I wipe it off, flush it with some motor oil, or what? I obviously don't want to just go starting it with crap on the camshaft.

The front cover screws are a pain in the butt to get off and I anticipate they won't be any easier to get back on. How much of a pain is it to remove the oil filler "funnel" thing to gain access to the front screws? Is that recommended? I didn't loosen that to get the valve cover off, but as long as I'm in there, if it's easier to do it that way I will.

I'm much more concerned with doing it right than getting it back together. I will be ordering the rockers tomorrow from the stealership and probably wrench it all together next weekend, if the weather holds. With the daylight savings time gone, I doubt I'll get to it after work any more.

Hopefully this takes care of the clicking that I heard in the top end. I'm very happy to see that this is the issue, and not something more serious.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 durango 4.7 #4 cyl misfire.-durango2.jpg  

Last edited by rah1420; 11-02-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 11-02-2009, 09:11 AM
RIX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I was able to compress the valve down enough with the one end of the rocker arm seated on the cam and lined up as much as possible on the rocker seat, with a bit of wresteling and creative alignment the rocker popped fully onto the seat and locked over the valve. It took maybe 20 min of lining up and trying different positions being careful to not knock the neighboring rocker arm off.

Hope this makes sense, I'm sure there is a proper tool which I did not use and I guess looking back on it now it would be possible to damage something by doing it how I did. Ignorance is bliss I guess. It all worked out thankfully and the problem has not repeated since and with many miles on the vehical since.

I do know the girl who owned this truck was not changing the oil regularly enough prior to this incident, but she is now.

Thanks~ RIX

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 durango 4.7 #4 cyl misfire.