2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

ETC Light flashes and Durango Dies!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:51 PM
thendrickson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR problems cause stalling of 5.7 Hemi

No, the stalling problem my wife and I experience was completely random. The only constant was that it always occurred for us at highway speeds.

In your case, if the stalling out issues still occurs I would not "assume" they changed the EGR gasket - make sure. For us this very small cheap fix could have caused a pretty bad accident!!

Old 06-19-2012, 11:37 AM
stixfix69
Thumbs up EGR Valve issue

sorry you had to go thtrough all that to find the fix, but thanks it saved me a lot of head aches. Well done.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:17 PM
griggssr25@yahoo.com

Originally Posted by matted2thefloor
Assuming you have the 5.7...

You mean the "red" light with the lightning bolt in between 2 lines?
If so...that is for the Electronic Throttle Control. The throttle is driven by the engine computer, not a conventional cable. When this light comes on, there has been a malfunction with that control system. Does the Check Engine Light come on in unison with the ETC light? While the light is flashing or on steady does the vehicle respond to any depressing of the accelerator before it stalls?

Seems like maybe one of the sensors on the accelerator pedal or the throttle actuator is causing the concern.

Im haveing the same problem with my 2004 dodge durago hemi 5.7L im thinking I should replace the hole throttle body unite any suggestions? Please help!

Old 05-01-2014, 10:08 PM
etchemi06

You need to replace throttle body, it has the ETC (electronic throttle control)
O'Reilly's sold me one for just under $220.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:08 AM
Eddie Hetfield
Unhappy Having the same (or worse) problem

Hi guys

I have a 2005 HEMI Durango since 2.5 years ago (near 100k miles).
I was trying to sell it, left it with a dealer 2-3 months but they did nothing.
I decided to get it back today, but when I started the engine, the ETC light was flashing (also the ESC but I turned it off throught the button), that have never happened before.
I also notice that the engine sounded different than when I left it (can't explain, maybe less noise).
I left the place, but like a half block away I pressed the accelerator pedal but nothing happened, as if it was on neutral, but also the RPM didn't respond, it was at 1200 RPM...
I drove like a mile away trying to change gears or something but neither the engine or the accelerator pedal look to respond.
I started it on and off several times, trying to see if anything happen but nothing... the ETC was always flashing... and something I noticed is that when I was in parking position and pressed the accelerator pedal, it could only reach the 2000 RPM at most...
I drove to a friend's workshop, the engine was running at 25mph top, and 1200 RPM top.
Consider that the check engine light never came on during this, and also, the battery was dead and the dealer jump started it.

Any clue???
Thanks a lot!

(sorry for my english, I hope I made myself clear)

Last edited by Eddie Hetfield; 09-16-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:39 AM
Rwboat77
Angry

I bought an 04 Durango, 5.7 back in july, and I've had this problem since I bought it! I've brought it back to the mechanic that sold it to me at least 5-6 times since then for the same issue. The throttle body has been replaced 3 times now. Twice with a used throttle body, and once with a new one. This last time he said that the connectors on the computer were bad, and that he replaced them. Less than 24 hrs afterwards it started doing it again. I'm so fed up with it at this point. I'm not sure if the mechanic checked the EGR valve/gasket. When I brought it up to him, he said that the egr shouldnt be the problem. So.... Im at a loss at this point. Any suggestions??

Old 07-20-2022, 05:35 AM
Chrisdodgedurangoguy
Default Red Lightning Bolt Flashing on Instrument Panel, Truck idles the sputters then dies..

My 2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 5.7 liter Continiuesely Dies, and the Red Lightning Bolt continues to Flash, I Replaced the Throttle Body 2 times with a used Replacement, on the Third time I Replaced the Throttle Body with a new Throttle Body, I also Changed the Spark Plugs with Brand New Bosch Double Iridium one's, changed out all the Spark Plug Wires.. Replaced all new the IAT Sensor, Camshaft Position Sensor, Crankshaft Position Sensor, Mass Air Flow Sensor, all New Fuel Pump full assembly. new Intake Gaskets.. so I'm still getting the Red Flashing Lightning Bolt on the Instrument Panel.. I've come to the conclusion it's gotta be the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor, I'm getting ready to change it out tomorrow I will let everyone know how it goes!! Wish me the utmost luck!! As wish you all out there much luck with the fixing of your Durangos!!

Old 01-24-2024, 03:59 PM
Ab816752

Originally Posted by Chrisdodgedurangoguy
My 2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 5.7 liter Continiuesely Dies, and the Red Lightning Bolt continues to Flash, I Replaced the Throttle Body 2 times with a used Replacement, on the Third time I Replaced the Throttle Body with a new Throttle Body, I also Changed the Spark Plugs with Brand New Bosch Double Iridium one's, changed out all the Spark Plug Wires.. Replaced all new the IAT Sensor, Camshaft Position Sensor, Crankshaft Position Sensor, Mass Air Flow Sensor, all New Fuel Pump full assembly. new Intake Gaskets.. so I'm still getting the Red Flashing Lightning Bolt on the Instrument Panel.. I've come to the conclusion it's gotta be the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor, I'm getting ready to change it out tomorrow I will let everyone know how it goes!! Wish me the utmost luck!! As wish you all out there much luck with the fixing of your Durangos!!

Hey I'm just wondering did you ever find out if the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor fixed your issue??

Quick Reply: ETC Light flashes and Durango Dies!!