2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2004 Durango 4.7 ticking / rough running

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 12:52 PM
hepcat503
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Durango 4.7 ticking / rough running

From reading other threads, I think I know what the problem is. I have a 4.7 on my wife's 2004 Durango, and I'm getting the apparently very common tick. I'm thinking it's the broken manifold bolts thing. She says it runs rough lately, though I imagine that would be related to a manifold leak with the broken bolts.

But here's the kicker: she's visiting family like 400 miles away and doesn't want anything to fall off on the way back. I can understand that. Will she be okay to drive it back, or is this going to be a problem? It was just ticking a little before she left, but apparently it's gotten much louder now. I'm thinking to take a few days off of work and take a bus over there and fix it, then we'd all drive home together. I don't know what tools her fam has over there, so I'd have to haul... a bunch of stuff over there with me.

On the other hand, I wonder if it'd be better (read: cheaper) to find a shop local to where she is? We're running a super tight budget. I'd also have to buy a repair manual & prob easy outs as well. I don't know where the bolts are but figure a shop manual will give me a good idea. We've only had it for about a year, so I haven't worked on it much.

Any input?

Old 07-20-2009, 01:52 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's okay for her to drive home. I would watch out for exhaust gases in the cabin. That's a bad thing. Just get it fixed sooner rather than later.

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 07-20-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:14 PM
hepcat503

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
It's okay for her to drive home. I would watch out for exhaust gases in the cabin. That's a bad thing. Just get it fixed sooner rather than later.

IndyD
That makes sense. I talked to my brother-in-law, who's worked on his fair share of cars. He said he's seen where an exhaust leak ate away at the metal. He was also concerned about exhaust getting into the engine compartment and making things too hot in there. For example, he said he was worried it could blow onto a spark plug wire or something and cause a failure to where she'd be stuck someone on the way home.

Has anyone had this experience also?

Old 07-24-2009, 11:22 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

The manifold bolt breakage is common on the 4.7l. None of the things you said are however. I think he may be thinking of old school motors or something. You are not going to get spark plug issues, etc.

It has been 4 days since the initial post, I hope wifey still isn't waiting to get home?! The problem could have been fixed by now.

IndyDurango

Old 07-25-2009, 02:16 AM
hepcat503

No, she's been doing stuff with family.

She's really concerned now, though. She's emphasizing that it's quite a bit more noisy than before, and heard that bolts pieces could be banging around in the engine. She's also concerned that since it's been making the ticking noise for the last couple months, that some larger damage could have happened or will happen on the way home. I can see where she's coming from.

What would happen if this kind of thing is left unchecked for too long?

Old 07-25-2009, 06:59 AM
whododat

Check to see if her family knows a local TRUSTWORTHY mechanic. Then have him check the truck to make sure it is NOT something that needs to be taken care of immediately. It could be minor or something that would ruin your day $ wise if left as is.

Good luck!

Old 07-27-2009, 09:06 PM
hepcat503

My wife got home last night. Needless to say, I was pretty happy!

And chalk another one up to broken bolts. I started it up after work today, and on the passenger side by the wheel well, there was a distinct noise. Not just a tick though, but more like a "whallop." I could see what she was worried. Definitely sounded like exhaust. The battery was dead (other issue), so I jumped it and drove it around for a little bit to charge it up. The whallop quieted to a tick, then went away altogether. I could barely hear it when I got out and listened to it.

I could see the heat shield through the wheel well and sure enough, it was loose. It's dang hot outside right now (103) so I decided to put taking a closer look. The day I have A/C in the garage will be... unlikely to ever happen!

I'll search the forum to see what size bolts, etc. Unless someone remembers off the top of their head? I think I remember seeing something about stainless grade 8 bolts? I don't remember how long. And I don't remember the size. Maybe I can just take off one that's on there and run to the store with it

Last edited by hepcat503; 07-27-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:11 AM
hepcat503

Update:

It's all done! The two studs farthest back were both broken. From what I read, those seem to be the most common ones to break.

It took most of the evening after I got home from work. I had the hardest time getting the wheel off. Lugnuts were SUPER tight. I actually never got the wheel off and almost broke my tire iron in the attempt. I could see it bending. I don't know what that was all about. But I just put it up on a stand and was able to access well enough. Removing the wheel well / fender made a huge difference. I'll deal with the wheel another day. I still have to deal with turning the rotors.

I used oem studs and a Felpro gasket. Some folks suggested AZ for the gasket, but it was almost half the price at Shuck's. I went with the stock studs because I was having difficulting finding the right size / length grade 8 bolts. I figure the old ones lasted 5 years.

And here's the best part: when putting the manifold back on, I noticed MY NAME was on it! How cool is that? So I had to take a pic, of course.

Name:  CIMG0093.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  85.4 KB

Name:  CIMG0091.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  62.8 KB

My wife says it was meant to be. A divine appointment! But wait... then why is she driving the Durango and I'm driving the car?

Last edited by hepcat503; 08-06-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Didn't know that was on the manifold. Cool and funny. Congrats on the fix. Sound better?

IndyDurango

P.S. Murphy's Law... get that lug off there, you will need access to the wheel off the D when you get a flat.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:43 PM
hepcat503

Yeah, sounds lots better. Whew!

And I'm going to get the lugs going tonight when I get home. Periodically soaking with PB Blaster in the meantime. It's weird, all the other wheels are fine, but all the lugs on this one wheel are on stuck tight. I'm going to heat it and take a breaker bar to it tonight. If that doesn't work, I'll take it to a tire shop.

Quick Reply: 2004 Durango 4.7 ticking / rough running