2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

05 4x4 Durango Hemi SLT Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 06:15 PM
NateDoggMag
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 4x4 Durango Hemi SLT Transmission Failure

Well, the Durango is hurting in a bad way. My wife was driving it today and after accelerating out of a left hand turn, the transmission unexpectedly gave out with 65K miles on the odometer. I was actually on the phone with her at the time and heard her say "What the heck was that?" On my end I heard what sounded like a Harley Davidson flying by an open window! The noise I heard was the engine roaring under no load.

When I arrived, there was no fluid on the ground. Started up the engine and immediately heard a whining noise that got progressively louder with increase in RPM. Put the shifter in all gears and got nothing, also toggled the transfer case from AWD, to 4WD and back - still nothing.

Got a tow to the local dealer and am now awaiting a new transmission. Fortunately I have the 7/70 power train warranty so all I will need to pay is the $100 deductible.

As for symptoms up to this point, like many others have reported, there was an occassional delay from the time putting the transmission in reverse to the time power hit the wheels. Also noticed a light clunk when tapping the accelerator. Lastly, and not sure this is in any way related, but when using cruise control and coasting down hill, it seemed as if the transmission would "drag" the vehicle for a few seconds before actually feeling like the vehicle was free coasting.

I will keep you posted on the repairs and experience using the 7/70 power train warranty.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:22 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I was reading I was screaming "POWERTRAIN WARRANTY"

With that said, how often has it been serviced? You said it has 65,000 miles one it. When was the fluids drained, the transmission filter changed, etc?

IndyDurango

Old 09-03-2009, 10:17 PM
NateDoggMag
Amateur

It has had two full transmission services. The last one about 15,000 miles ago and it also had the transmission lines replaced. Running into a little bad luck lately, tonight I discovered all the steering wheel controls (horn, radio and computer) in my 09 Ram are not functioning. I will be picking up the Durango and dropping off the Ram...

Old 09-09-2009, 09:01 PM
shortlid
Default Common?

is this common in the new 5-speed autos in athe durango's? I am looking at a 4.7 powered one for my next purchase?

Old 09-09-2009, 11:46 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No.

and get the 5.9 instead.

IndyD

Quick Reply: 05 4x4 Durango Hemi SLT Transmission Failure