2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Does my mechanic know what hes doing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010 | 07:41 AM
Palidin40
|
Default Does my mechanic know what hes doing?

I bought my 2004 durango with 80000 mi and in excellent shape. I babied this vehicle and take good care of it. It always idled a little rough when 1st started but other then that, no problems. One day, my check engine light came on and I took it to an auto store where they hooked it up to computer and read P300. I took to mechanic and they put it on their computer and read same thing. Said my coil packs needed replacing and they did a tune up, replacing coil packs, and plugs. I left and it started acting real sluggish. took it right back and one of the coil pack had broken. They replaced it and it drove fine. I live 1.5 hrs from mechanic. I got 5 mins from home and it started again. took in next day, checked all coil packs, and plugs. said it was the injectors or head gasket. Does this sound right? I just spent $500 on 8 coil packs and plugs for it to run worse then it did before they did the work. On this site, I found how to check the codes myself and I get a p300, p308, and 2314. Anything I can look for?
Anything will help. Thanks

Old 05-24-2010 | 12:42 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo

P300 is a random misfie trouble code which can be hard to detect. When they did the tune up did they replace the EGR valve and clean the throttle body?
FF

Old 05-24-2010 | 10:46 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

^ partially why I hate 4.7s... and the trans, and the plastic intake and the packs and and and

Your issue could be anything electrical/ignition related.

To make you feel better, "wasted" wouldn't be a word I would use on your repairs so far. 6 year old injectors and coil packs need replaced at least once. You were about due anyways and if they were installed correctly (and the wires are all good) you did eliminate them as a variable. I understand however how it sux to throw money at a problem without knowing the answer in advance.

With that said, FIND A NEW REPAIR SHOP. Where do you live that there isn't a shop within 90 miles of home?

IndyDurango

Old 05-25-2010 | 09:35 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

Paladin:

Got to agree with Indy that you need to find a new shop. Sounds to me like they very much were simply throwing parts in there at your expense hoping to eliminate the issue.

The 01 4.7 I sold last year had 80k on it, and all original coils with no issues at all.

Unless you have overheated it, or failed to properly service the cooling system every 5 yrs or 100k, I think a head gasket is not likely.

Have they tested to see if the fuel pressure is at spec on the rail?? Lack of fuel can cause just what you are seeing.

Good luck and keep up posted on your progress.

Don

Quick Reply: Does my mechanic know what hes doing?