2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Newbie here with questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:00 AM
RangoStar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here with questions...

Hey gang,

I have bought a 2004 Durango Limited 2 years ago. The vehicle has been a very good vehicle, other than my 300M, this is by far the best vehicle i've owned. It's comfortable, fun to drive and safe.

I bought it with 78,000km (48,000 miles) and I now have 106,000km (62,000 miles) I had to replace both lower ball joints not longer after the purchase, then the sway bar bushings and an heat shield was tightened up a few times. Now, I just replaced another ball joint, both front shocks and I hear another clunking, could that be the sway bar bushings again?

Also, once in a while (happened 3 times), slowing down to a stop sign, it would stall and would restart right away, no engine lights on or anything.

Also, I know that it's a heavy beast with a V8, but is there anything I could do to increase the gas mileage a bit.

I was told by the Chrysler dealer when I got my oil change done at 98,000kms that I was due for new spark plugs, replace transmission fluids and differencial fluids and they quoted almost $700 to do the work. I started another job and I don't make much money and was wondering if that could wait a bit before being replaced. I could probably do the plugs myself, if it's not too much of an assle.

Is there any other stuff I need to keep an eye on? Any problem spots with these Durangos?

Thanks!!

Ian

On Edit: I forgot to ask how the AWD system works. Is it like a RWD and when the back wheels start spinning, power is sent to the front wheels or it's the 4 wheels on all the time?

Last edited by RangoStar; 11-18-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:32 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ian:

You should get these services done as soon as you can afford it for the longevity of your D. That being said, you can do this work your self and save a bundle of money.

Transfer case and differentials should be done every 30k. Trans needs to be done every 50k, and 40 if you tow a lot. Cooling system is every 5 years or 100k.

Make sure to use ATF+4 in both the trans and the transfer case. Either Mopar or Valvoline are the only Dodge/Chrysler approved brands

The AWD system in our Gen 2 Durangos is full time, and sends 52% power to the rear axle and 48% to the front axle. There is no provision for 2wd or RWD. 4 High or 4 lock as some folks have locks the front and rear drive shafts together.

This setting is for off road and/or slippery surface conditions only. Both my previous 2001 and my current 2004 D are AWD, and I have yet to need use of the 4 Hi/Lock. I don't go off road though either.

Don

Old 11-22-2010, 12:58 PM
RangoStar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Don!!

So, the transmission, differentials and transfer case flushes can be done at home? How much time would it take to do it and what are the quantities for each fluids?

What about the spark plugs?

Thanks again.

Ian

Old 11-22-2010, 06:41 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The DIY link has the fluid capacities. The differential should be unbolted if this is the first service. There should be a magnet in there that will collect small slivers of metal and large chucks if you are unlucky,
FF

Quick Reply: Newbie here with questions...