2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Engine shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:49 PM
jppranker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine shuts off

I have a 2006 dodge durango with a 4.7. Yesterday the engine light came on and the engine shut off while driving down the road. I drifted to the side of the road and switched the key off. I then turn it back on and it cranked right up. The check engine light is still on however it seems to be working fine. I had a similar thing happen about a month ago on vacation it kinda bucked, kicked the cruse off, and would not let me put it back on. Before the day was over the engine light cleared and I figured the plugs had about 50000 on them good time to change them thought that fixed it. However the problem is back. I tried to turn key on off on off and back on to get the code however all I got was the mileage no matter what I did. I mean I tried this for about 15 mins. Am I doing something wrong with the key switch. I could not get it to lock on mine though the book shows it should. So I assume on this ignition switch when everything comes on is on and off is when I can pull the key. There is a potion in between I tried all the way from key removal to everything on and I tried from in between position to everything on and still no codes came up. Any help would be great. Thx

Old 07-25-2011, 11:29 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 07-26-2011, 12:08 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Best thing would be to go to any auto parts store. They will read the codes for free.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:24 PM
durango04

ive had that problem too with the 2004 durango and it ended up being my EGR valve an when i got the replaced it took care of that problem...it could be something else but maybe thought it would help...but i have another problem...went thru 4 power steering pumps an now im being told i have a power steering fluid filter...cant locate it anywhere and im tryin to find out if maybe i would actually have on an no being lied too!! if you kno anything please respond!!

Old 07-30-2011, 08:38 PM
jppranker

Just for those who may have this problem in the future. I went to the parts store today and got them to pull the code and the only code was crankshaft position error. So I bought a new one and put it in however the first one they gave me was the camshaft position sensor so two trips to the store but hopefully it will fix the problem. After couple months with no problems I will post back results because last time it went a month and a half with no problems. Hope this helps someone.

Quick Reply: Engine shuts off