2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

AC Wacky

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 PM
jham0077
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Wacky

The AC on our 06 Durango is not blowing cold. I guess the wife drove it a week or so ago and never bothered to say anything. So I get in it this afternoon and.... well. It's acted up once before on a trip, just quit blowing cold. Started it the next morning and worked fine. It will blow cooler on low fan speed. On higher speed it almost seems to warm up. The compressor sounds good and is cycling. It's dripping water under it. The high line is hot and the low line is cold, not sweating cold, but cold. I have no gauges to put on it. I noticed something mounted under/behind the glove box that I thought might control the blend doors. Its a heater looking thing that is getting pretty hot. Is it suppose to?

Checked the rear unit and it's blowing alot colder.

Last edited by jham0077; 05-08-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 AM
CombatSapper

My 06 did the same thing. I replaced the front blower motor resistor twice before realizing it was a bad wiring connector, apparently a common problem with 06s. Ordered one off of Amazon and it fixed the problem.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:34 PM
jham0077
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. So the extremely warm thing was the resistor. I can't get much info for my problem. I have dug around elsewhere and came up with a possible faulty expansion valve causing it to cool with the rear unit and not so much with the front. It apparently has a front and a rear one. I'm getting mid 40's air from the rear vents and low 70's out of the front. I picked one up but have not changed it it yet. I can never remember to check the underhood sticker with the freon amount on it therefore I have no freon, yet.

Quick Reply: AC Wacky