2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Towing with a 2005 4.8L V8 Durango with 3.55?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013 | 01:19 AM
ambermaechler
|
Default Towing with a 2005 4.8L V8 Durango with 3.55?

Hello, I'm new here. We just purchased a 2005 SLT 4.8L V8 Durango with axle ratio 3.55. We own a 24' travel trailer that weighs 3,600 lbs dry. At full capacity with all tanks full it can weigh 5,800 lbs, although we doubt we'd ever tow it that way. We are now wondering if this Durango will be enough to safely pull the trailer.

Has anyone towed something similar with this set up? We do have trailer brakes and plan to tow it with the tanks empty most of the time.

Usually we tow over a mountain pass, so there is a grade involved and we've considered taking it on longer road trips down the coast where we would be driving daily.

We need to decide if we should keep the trailer or opt to sell it and buy a smaller tent trailer to tow with this vehicle. We would really like to keep our trailer if possible, but we don't want to be irresponsible about towing it. We won't be selling or trading in the Durango anytime soon because of financial reasons.

Thanks for your opinion/advice!

Old 07-15-2013 | 08:56 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

My 2004 with same engine handled a trailer like that no problem. You do have the factory tow package? When tow mts passes just keep a sensible speed 55-60 is much easier than 65-70.

You have the same Durango that can tow 8700lbs but just the 3:55 and the 4.7 so all you lack is torque. A free flowing exhaust and a CAI will wake up that motor. I couldn't believe the difference in midrange torque in my 2004 4.7 with the addition of the K&N CAI with the rubber flap removed and a flowmaster exhaust. Also don't put any tire taller than stock on the rims, that kills the effective drive ratio.

Last edited by MIKEon22s; 07-15-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2013 | 08:44 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker

Amber:
To add onto the good comments from Mike, as long as your Durango has the factory tow package and you are not concerned about running 70 mph everywhere you go, I think you will do ok.

You do not say if your Durango is AWD or RWD? If by chance it is RWD, you could install a lower rear axle gear such as a 4.10.
This would allow the D to do its job without working so hard and also help lessen trans downshifts when pulling those hills.

If there is doubt about the presence of the tow package, you can email your VIN number to Chrysler Customer Assistance. They will send you a copy of the build sheet listing every option it rolled out of the Newark, Delware factory with.

Don

Quick Reply: Towing with a 2005 4.8L V8 Durango with 3.55?