2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

04 Durango 5.7L sputters, runs rough?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 01:04 AM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would SERIOUSLY replace the intake gaskets.

We had a similar problem with our Durango ('04 Hemi 4x4 Limited, 118k or so) and after lots of internet research I swapped the intake gaskets.

$10, and about 2 hours worth of work.

We had:
* rough idle in rain/car wash to the point of stalling if not giving it gas.
* significant gap between cowl and windshield
* no DTC codes
* recently changed plugs/wires/coil boots
* all sensors tested fine

When I pulled the intake, you could immediately see where the gaskets had been so flattened and shrunken over time that they sat *below* the surface of the intake. They were effectively not even there, provided no seal to the engine.

I replaced the intake gaskets, the cowl, and the rear two coils for good measure.

Since then, we've driven through several monsoon type downpours with nary a miss.

Now, the age old question is this: is it the cowl or the gaskets?

My answer is that it is the gaskets, but the cowl needs addressed as well. Replacing the gaskets fixes the problem, but you are going to have other problems if you don't find some way to keep water from pouring over the tup of your engine from underneath the cowl.

Please save yourself a $5,000 repair bill and change the intake gaskets ASAP.

(We also saw better fuel economy immediately after.)

Old 10-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Durango marty
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey outbackgeorgia what "other problems were you reffering to on the 4.7???

Old 10-15-2014, 08:57 AM
outbackgeorgia

On my 4.7 Durango, I replaced several water pumps prematurely (remans, so quality was probably an issue), but I had to replace the entire front cover (includes water pump and thermostat) housing at about 80,000 miles due to a leak in the thermostat housing. Aluminum corroded away and leaked coolant. Always used proper coolant, so diagnosis was cavitation erosion at the thermostat, which Chrysler fixed in new cover design. Was a 2000 (early 4.7) so I believe this was fixed by 2001 model year. A/C issues ( compressor), brake rotor wear, front ball joint wear.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Durango marty
Amateur

the only thing i can say on mine (2004 187000) is the ball joints upper and lower are factory crap i think they should have beefed up suspention also i have had a few 318 and i was told 4.7 replaced these motors i think the 318 had way way more power my durango feels gutless next to the magnum 318

Quick Reply: 04 Durango 5.7L sputters, runs rough?