2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Engine Knocking - Maybe Lifter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 05:12 PM
trstone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Knocking - Maybe Lifter?

I just took my 2006 Durango with 5.7L Hemi to have some front end work as well as the oil changed by a very reputable shop. While there, I asked the mechanic to change out the last 2 spark plugs on either side because I couldn't reach them this past weekend. When I went to pick it up 2 days later, I noticed a knocking noise as soon as I cranked it. I didn't think much of it so I drove down the road about a mile and noticed that the clacking sound would speed up as the RPM's increased and the noise would then become drowned out by street noise at roughly 20MPH. I drove it back and the mechanic acknowledged the clacking sound. He went and looked at the work order and said they put the wrong oil in (5W-30 rather than 5W-20) and he felt the 5W-30 may not be lubricating the engine properly. He changed the oil but the noise is still there. He then said there was nothing he knew to do and that nothing he did should've caused the noise. A good friend of mine seems to think it might be a lifter. I can't hear the noise when I look under the hood while it's idling but once I sit down in the driver's seat and close the door, I hear it plainly.

Here's my question: Could putting in the wrong oil or incorrectly installing the rear spark plugs on either side have done anything to cause what is being thought of as a lifter going bad? I'm stumped as to what I should do.

Please advise if anyone else has ever had this occur.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:46 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Moving to the correct section.

Quick Reply: Engine Knocking - Maybe Lifter?