2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Has anyone installed a engine cover from another Hemi car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 07:32 AM
Bill C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone installed a engine cover from another Hemi car?

I was thinking about water on intake issues I've seen, so bought a updated cowl right after I bought my 05 5.7, was thinking a Hemi engine cover off a charger, Jeep or 300 might be a good solution to keep water off engine, coils etc. I know the D is stuffed back farther than those cars, but I wanted to see if anyone fit one well on the D. I would buy a air raid intake tube, keep stock air box and possibly put a cover off a charger with some slight modifications to get the intake tube to work with the cover. I live in WA state and it rains a lot here, so was thinking this could be a good idea, a cover can be found for $50 used or less. Let me know if anyone's tried doing this!

Old 05-18-2016, 02:15 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You need to get a new (updated) wiper cowl. The dealer should have one. When you put it on, make sure and seal the push clip holes with black RTV before you install them, then water test it. I thought the 5.7 had it's own cover anyway???? hmmm

Old 05-19-2016, 05:15 AM
Bill C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the updated cowl on, but the only engine cover on the 5.7 is the Hemi hat, which really doesn't cover much as far as stopping any water. The covers for the charger, 300 etc all hug the engine better and would be useful if could fit.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:55 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill C
I put the updated cowl on, but the only engine cover on the 5.7 is the Hemi hat, which really doesn't cover much as far as stopping any water. The covers for the charger, 300 etc all hug the engine better and would be useful if could fit.

One from a Commander or a Grand Cherokee might.

Like I said though, water test that cowl while armed with a tube of RTV. (:

Old 06-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked into doing this, and the cover for the Chargers et al clip into the intake. The intakes on our durangos don't have the spots to clip in, so I think you'd have to replace the whole intake with a charger model. I searched a few junk yards for parts, but no joy, so I gave up.

I will say this- replace the intake gaskets, not just the cowl. The true issue is water is seeping in through the intakes and hydro locking the engine. No cowl or cover will prevent that, but new intake gaskets will.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a engine cover from another Hemi car?