2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2005 Durango AC COndenser Fan replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 01:48 PM
jowens1126
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Durango AC COndenser Fan replacement

My AC condenser fan is not working. I have a replacement. I went out to work on it a bit today and see if I could get the old one out, but damn, I just cant seem to get it to come out.

So I removed the 3 bolts from the radiator COndenser hold down bracket, then removed the bracket. Then I removed the bolt on the Drivers side fender that holds the top part of the Condenser fan in. I looked around and didnt see anything else holding it in. Then I looked at the replacement part and confirmed that it doesnt look like there is anything else to remove. So I gave it a few more tries. I tried pulling it straight up and it seems like its hitting on an indent in the inner fender on the drivers side. There is almost no wiggle room to move the condenser assembly toward the middle of the vehicle, which I think would allow the assembly to come out, but no luck there.

So What is the trick? There is always a trick to getting things like this out. Im sure someone here has done this before. I read most of the applicable threads but there was nothing I saw that showed exactly how anyone got the assembly out. There should be no reason it wont come out without discharging the AC or removing the radiator, so please, someone tell me the trick.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:06 PM
jowens1126

143 views and no one has any ideas?

Old 05-20-2016, 10:28 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Most of those views could be bots or crawlers. Yes, you have to remove the condenser and fan together

Last edited by TNtech; 05-20-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:32 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

REMOVAL

WARNING: Refer to the applicable warnings and cautions for this system before performing the following operation (refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - FRONT - WARNING) and (refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - FRONT - CAUTION). Failure to follow the warnings and cautions could result in possible personal injury or death.

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
  2. Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system (refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING FRONT - STANDARD PROCEDURE - REFRIGERANT SYSTEM RECOVERY).
  3. Remove the push-pin retainers (1) and the upper condenser/radiator seal (2).

4. Disconnect the wire harness connectors from the condenser cooling fan motor (9) and the A/C pressure transducer (10).
  5. Remove the two wire harness retainers (2) from the condenser fan shroud (4) and position the wire harness out of the way.
  6. Remove the nuts (1 and 8) that secure the A/C discharge line (5) and A/C liquid line (7) to the A/C condenser (6).
  7. Disconnect the A/C discharge and liquid lines from the A/C condenser and remove and discard the O-ring seals and gaskets.
  8. Remove the A/C discharge line from the retainer (3) located on the condenser fan shroud (4).
  9. Install plugs in, or tape over the opened discharge and liquid line fitting and condenser ports.

10. Remove the three bolts (1) that secure the upper radiator support (2) to the upper front crossmember (5).
  11. Remove the upper radiator support and position the radiator overflow hose (3) out of the way.
  12. Remove the bolt that secures the condenser/cooling fan assembly (4) to the upper left fender rail.
  13. Carefully push back the radiator (6) for clearance and remove the condenser/cooling fan assembly from the engine compartment.

14. Place the condenser/cooling fan assembly on a workbench and remove the two screws (1) that secure the A/C condenser (2) to the condenser fan shroud (3).
  15. Remove the A/C condenser from the condenser fan shroud.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:22 PM
jowens1126

OK thanks for the official procedure.

Has anyone actually done this WITHOUT discharging the A/C?

Old 08-28-2018, 07:33 AM
Texas Mike

Tip for future viewers, on step 13, it wasn't clear to me, but you can't just push the radiator far enough for clearance to rotate the condenser and pull it out past the wires on the right. You actually have to lift the radiator up a little to clear the lower right foot that just sits in a hole and it will move forward much further. That will give enough clearance to get the condenser out.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:47 PM
notsofast
Rookie

I just did this job this last Spring and ran into the exact same issue. My condensor fan housing was catching the wiring harness on the driver's side fender. I unbolted the fuse box or computer there (can't remember if it was a fuse box or computer) and was able to move it slightly so I could work it out.

As a side note, if you find you have a freon leak that isn't obviously at a connection somewhere try the Red Devil stop leak. It's different than the stop leaks that just plug the hole with debris and can clog pumps and condensors. It's a special oil that when exposed to air, such as at the leak location, the oil gels and seals the hole. I had a leak in my evaporator and the cheapest repair I found for $900.00. I tried the stop leak and it has been fine all summer.

Last edited by notsofast; 09-05-2018 at 11:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 2005 Durango AC COndenser Fan replacement