2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Oil Pressure Light - possible low oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 10:01 AM
birkato
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Light - possible low oil pressure?

Hi: I have a 2007 Durango 5.7L. My oil light has been coming on intermittently. It happened in May and I went to the dealer and they said it was the pressure sensor, they installed a new one and it didn't fix it. I changed my oil and it went away until about 2 weeks ago. I again changed the oil and it went away for about 10 days, then it came back. Now it usually does it every day especially after it is warmed up and typically will not start until I give it some moderate/heavy acceleration. When the light is on, there is usually (but not always) a slight "ticking" and/or "knocking" sound. I am not driving it until I figure out what is wrong. I have always changed my oil at least every 5K if not sooner and oil looks pretty normal when I change it. I captured the symptoms and sounds in a youtube video. IF anyone has any suggestions please feel free to reply here or on the video. I hope I don't need new lower end bearings or something serious! The MIL light is on and has a P0521 code. I have attached the OBD2 Freeze Frame data associated with the code.

From what I can tell, it could be:
1) Bad oil pressure switch (not likely since I just had a new one installed)
2) Bad wiring from switch to ECU (I suppose this is possible but that doesn't explain the noise)
3) Sludge or other obstructions in oil system. I would find it hard to believe I have sludge as I am diligent about checking and changing oil, but this seems like a somewhat reasonable cause and would explain why it happens sometimes but not always (maybe a chunk plugs up a pathway every now and then)
4) Bad/failing oil pump. From what I have read, oil pumps rarely go out so not a high likelihood but possible.
5) Major failure with drivetrain/worn bearings. Man I hope this isn't the problem!

Any other suggestions?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Durango OBD2.pdf (480.4 KB, 1980 views)