2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Help!!!!! Truck overheating can't figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 10:57 AM
Ihatethistruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!!! Truck overheating can't figure it out

Ok so first off excuse the name i can't figure out how to change it and I really do hate this truck but it's because the person who previously owned it did not maintain it and now it's my headache. Anyways on to the problem:
Ok so initially on Friday it started overheating while idling at red lights and whatnot. I automatically assumed clutch fan. However the fan has no freewheeling and is spinning the same speed as the pulley. I'm not sure if this means it's totally good or not but then the truck started running hot no matter if I was driving or idling. I was a good 30 miles from my house when this happened so I cut the heat on and hoped to make it home by pulling over and letting her cool when needed. After turning on the heat it was not blowing hot even though the needle was around 3/4 and would almost red line....The randomly out the blue the thermostat would open and the air would blow hot temp would go back down....I bought a new tstat on the way home. Woke up next morning changed tstat filled up coolant and tried to bleed air out but couldn't find a bleeder on this truck. I got some major puking out the radiator a few times and it calmed down so I thought it was bled. Now I tried to go pick up my kid and the damn thing is running hot as soon as I get two miles down the road. I'm starting a very big six figure career tomorrow. I've been broke my whole life I can't eff this job up so I need to fix this sob....Can someone give me an idea of where to start? My belt did start squealing at start up too but I assumed it was from me spilling coolant on the belt. Could it be my water pump even though it's not leaking? Or do u think I have a blown head gasket?

Old 04-09-2017, 02:21 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

year, engine size? pressurized surge tank or not?

the fan clutch does little at highway speeds so if its overheating all the time; its probably not the fan clutch.
check to make sure the rad fins are not clogged with debris, if so wash all the coolers, condenser, rad, trans and p/s coolers with a garden hose. make sure the rad shrouds are in place.

the rad can also be internally clogged....I check it with a temp gun...when at operating temp, there should be at least 10*C temp drop from the upper rad hose to the outlet.