2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2004 durango will not shift out of park brake interlock is retracting

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 10:20 AM
MTN5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 durango will not shift out of park brake interlock is retracting

i have a 2004 dodge durango 5.7 81,000 miles that will not shift out of park. I removed the column shifter shroud cover and observed that the brake interlock (metal retangular block) in the column is retracting when the key is turned however the column shifter will not move forward to go to the forward gears. The brake lights are working. The vehicle will start.

Background
In the week prior i traveled to three destinations parked the durango and shut it off. When i returned the key would not turn in the ignition.
I was able to get the durango started by pressing the key fob and manipulating the key. i do not know which action was able to get the vehicle started.

yesterday
I drove about six blocks from my house to visit a friend and left the durango running. I Shifted to drive to leave however there was no forward motion. I put the durango in neutral from drive and pushed it to the curb and cut it off. I called triple AAA and while waiting for them i was able to somehow manipulate the shifter to neutral start the vehicle and drive home. The vehicle is in the same state in which it will cut on but i can not shift to out of park.
thank you for everyones assistance in providing answers to this issue.
joseph

Quick Reply: 2004 durango will not shift out of park brake interlock is retracting