2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

hitch for 05 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 12:45 AM
COZMO354
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hitch for 05 Durango

Who has the best price on hitchs for the 05's? Also the wiring as well? My buddy said he has a ram and when he went to put a hitch on the wiring was there it was just tied off, are the durangos like that also? The hitch he put on was just avery small piece that bolted right to the frame it was not a full size hitch are these available for the Durangos?

Old 07-26-2006, 01:16 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: hitch for 05 Durango

I'm not sure but you might want to try ebay I got my hidden hitch off of there and there was no drilling required it took all of 20 minutes to put mine on under a lift. Just make sure that you get a strong enough hitch for your truck I personally went with a class III hitch that can handle 7500 lbs. as can my D. If your buddy got a small hitch it might not be adequate enough for large towing jobs as there are different classes, it's my suggestion that you find a hitch that matches your vehicle spec's just in case you ever need to tow a heavy load you know that the hitch won't fail. Oh and my hitch only cost $147.00 after shipping.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Flealami

Try www.etrailer.com and www.trailerhitches.com.
The smalle size hitch you refer to, looks similar to the oem hitch and although small in appearance is quite capable in load handling since it mounts directly onto the rear frame crossmember. I installed the bigger (uglier) one only because it did not require any drilling, but the capacity was the same (Class III).
When it comes to the wiring, if your Durango is not pre-wired, then you should have the wiring done by a professional unless you know exactly what you are doing. It's not like the good old days of a splice here and a splice there. The wiring harness for the Durango is complicated, has some wires going directly to the battery, a separate console which I don't know what it does. The bottom line is that if you don't do it right you run the risk of screwing up the vehicle computer and it won't be covered by the warranty.
Just read an article on a boating magazine today in which they mention how today it's the opposite of the way it used to be, now installing the trailer hitch is easy but the wiring gets complicated and expensive. It cost me $145.00 for the wiring installation, I installed the hitch.

Flea

Old 07-26-2006, 06:54 PM
COZMO354
Amateur

Doesn't the wiring just have the plug that goes into the wiring near your brake lights? I did the wiring on my 02 Liberty and all I had to do was take out a tailight pull one plug and plug it back on the T plug I had bought and then that went right to the hitch. I was looking at JC Whitney and they have a hidden Hitch with free shipping I just wanted to make sure I did not have to drill anything.

Thanks

Old 08-20-2006, 01:41 AM
blewiz2

did you manage to get the hitch?
I have an 04 durango that I am getting rid of and we are removing the hitch. the body style is the same so it shouldn't be an issue.
I can seel it to ya, and you would need to pay for s/h.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:21 AM
COZMO354
Amateur

I just ordered one today, How much are you asking shipped to 15601? I may be abl eto cancel the order. I also need the wiriing

Old 07-10-2008, 02:26 PM
SRT_Sizzle

I have been really impressed with the Curt Hitches http://www.autoanything.com/towing/20A52080A1.aspxbut also like the Reese hitches at WalMart, strong stuff ata low price.

Quick Reply: hitch for 05 Durango