Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 10:33 AM
pgtek
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default change brake pad

hi All
I need to change my brake pads on my durango 2004
Any special things i should know to change them?
If anyone has detail how to please post it

thanks

pg

Old 12-27-2006, 05:33 PM
aka_chewy
All Star
Default RE: change brake pad

I just did the fronts on my a few months ago. For the front pads, the biggest hint I can give is turn the wheel your working on out. So, if you are working on the drivers side front, turn the wheel all the way to the left. This allows easiest access to the bolts.

I would start with loosening the two bolts that secure the pad holders to the brake caliper. Once you loosen those up, remove the two bolts that hold the brake caliper to the spindle. Those bolts I had to use my torque wrench to loosen up, so they might be tight. Once those are removed, you will have to work the caliper off the disk, could take a little pulling. Once off, make sure to hang on to it because the brake line is still attached. From there you can remove the bolts that hold the pad holder and remove the pad holder from the caliper. Remeber, the brake line is still on the caliper, so be sure to have the caliper supported some how. I used a small bucket to place it on.

You will have to slide the pads out of the pad holder. Make note of how the pads are sitting in there and how they slide off, I didn't pay attention when I did and it took me a little bit to get them set back in. You will want to get a brake cylinder tool to press the pistons back into the caliper so you have enough room to slide the pads over the rotor.

Once you go to put everything back together, make sure that when you tighten the bolts that hold the pad holder to the caliper that you don't over tighten. I snapped a head off one of them and it took me calling and driving around for a few hours to find a replacement. Snug is good enough.

I don't have any pics, but if you read this as you look at it, hopefully it will make sense. I will have to do the backbrakes pretty soon, so I will let you know how that goes.

Good luck.....

Old 12-28-2006, 12:06 AM
Hemi4wheeling
Rookie

No need for a brake cylinder tool, just use a "C" clamp. Also use the sevice manual that is online. PGTek, you posted the link to it. It tells you step by step on how to do it.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:14 AM
pgtek
Professional

hi
Thanks i should have look at my previous post

Quick Reply: change brake pad