2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

'98 Intrepid steering problem!!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:27 PM
boutsick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Intrepid steering problem!!! HELP!

Ok here' sthe deal... My Intrepid lost all power assist, First thought that a pump went bad. So Far I have put 2 Pumps, 2 rack and pinions, all new lines, and flushed out the cooler and resevor, and I still have NO power steering..... If anyone has a clue to what might be wrong please give insight... BTW the car has performance steering, so there is no electronics. And all parts were bought from Advance Auto Parts.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:32 PM
boutsick
Default RE: '98 Intrepid steering problem!!! HELP!

Ok now I am up to 3 racks, and 4 pumps and the last one being used. After installing the second rack I had P/S at first, but after just a few minutes It was gone, BUT only at idle! If you raise the rpm's just off of idle you have all the P/S that you want, just not at idle????

Old 07-13-2007, 09:25 PM
boutsick

anybody????

Old 07-15-2007, 07:25 PM
ratman

Alright since nobody else wants to take a stab at it let me burn a couple ideas on this. 1) sometimes there is a check valve located in the system to keep the fluid from siphoning back, maybe for some reason the spring pressure on this is too high and needs the extra rpm to overcome it. 2) are any of the lines kinked or the rubber lines collapsing internally requiring more pressure and flow to overcome this. Years ago I encountered this in fuel systems where the fuel could not get to the engine, I found that the lines had an inner and outer layer and the inner layerwas separatingand was collapsing shutting off flow. 3)maybe a quick fix would be to see if there was a smaller pulley for the pump, this would speed the pump up and simulate raising the engine rpm's.....Also I think the lack of replies are that everyone wonders what exactly is the difference from stock steering to the "performance" stearing you put on. Exactly what parts were changed for this. Also the thought comes to at least my mind of contacting the company that made the "performance"steering package and see what they suggest.....good luck

Old 07-22-2007, 08:53 AM
boutsick

To start with Dodge offered 3 different steering packages on the Intrepid, Speed Proportional Steering (SBC); Performance Steering (SBP); And The Standard Steering (SBA).

And second, It's fixed......

Old 03-26-2011, 10:48 PM
lowrie1
Default intrepid

Originally Posted by boutsick
To start with Dodge offered 3 different steering packages on the Intrepid, Speed Proportional Steering (SBC); Performance Steering (SBP); And The Standard Steering (SBA).

And second, It's fixed......

Can you tell me what fixed the problem??My intrepid is doing the same thing.Please give me some ideas????

Quick Reply: '98 Intrepid steering problem!!! HELP!