2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

LIMP MODE! PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:22 AM
98INTREPID_ES
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LIMP MODE! PLEASE HELP!

My `98 Dodge Intrepid ES is in "limp mode". I took it to the Auto Zone down the street and they ran a diagnostic test on it and revealed the following codes:
P0715
P0700
P0731
P0733
The car will crank and start off in second gear. Once it hits second it's stuck! I'm 600 miles from my trusted mechanic! Could you please advise me as to what I can try to resolve this problem? I love my car, but can't afford to put a new tranny in it. Hoping there's a cheaper, viable solution!
Thank you!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:30 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: LIMP MODE! PLEASE HELP!

P0700 General Trany fault (can be induced by the sensor)
P0715 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor/A Circuit Malf
P0731 Gear 1 Ratio Incorrect (can be induced by the sensor)
P0733 Gear 3 Ratio Incorrect (can be induced by the sensor)

It sounds like a bad speed sensor…about $50 each (input and output). They sit on the left side (driver) of the transaxle. It’s more than likely the input sensor, but while under there, you could change both. The aft one it the output sensor (they look alike if I remember correctly). For location ref, the input is just aft and above the driver side cv, and the output is just as high, but the last plug on the transaxle (aft side).

I had a similar problem on my 97, but I was stuck in first and had no speedometer reading (my primary fault was the output sensor though). It was a quick, cheap fix and is still good a year later.

Good luck,

Kurt

Old 04-30-2008, 02:53 PM
98INTREPID_ES

[&:]Thanks, Kurt. Just got back from purchasing the sensors. Will give that a try first, then the cables. If those fail to fix the problem I'll let you know!
Thanks for your help!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:00 PM
98INTREPID_ES

Just wanted to let you know I changed out the input speed sensor and the "stuck in 2nd" seems to have disappeared. The check engine light is still on so I'm going to replace the output speed sensor as well. Hopefully this will completely solve my "stuck in 2nd" issue!
Thanks again, Kurt, for you assistance and quick reply!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:53 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

The light will remain on for some time, even if the malfunction is gone. (I think somthing like 50 good key cycles). You can have the code reset by the OBDII scan tool Just go to the place that you bought the sensor from and ask them to do it. Some places give greif about...how do I know you are just trying to mask a problem so you can sell it etc, but if you go to the one you bought the part from you can reason with them if they make that claim. You can logicly show you changed the part, the problem is gone, and you want to verify before putting in the other part (once an electronic part has been connected to your car, they will not take it back).

Glad to help, and good to hear you are up and running again!

PS Thank YOU for letting me know the outcome. Most people just disapear after (I assume) the problem is gone, leaving me to wonder what happened.

Quick Reply: LIMP MODE! PLEASE HELP!