2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

2002 Intrepid conversion donors

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:44 AM
rrc1962
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Intrepid conversion donors

Hi all... Just recently purchased a decent running 2002 Intrepid for cheap money. Previous owner just had it in the shop for a timing chain and tensioner. Not knowing these 2.7L issues, we thought we were stealing it. Now 2 weeks later, it is making a little timing chain noise. I can pull it apart again but after reading the 2.7L issues, I suspect the oil passage that feeds the tensioner is compromised. Now that I've done some post purchase research, I'm thinking that a 3.2/3.5 conversion is in order. We like the car, it is in showroom new condition cosmetically and if we put $3000 in it, we would still be under NADA trade-in value.

My other alternative is to pull the motor and rebuilt it. At this point it is still running, so a simple rebuild kit, water pump, chain and tensioner, hot tank and hone the block and turn the crank should be about all it needs to be freshened up. I haven't added up the parts yet, but I've done this to SB Fords and Chevys for next to nothing.

Anyway....Donor vehicles. From what I have read, I will need a 2002+ donor for this car in order for the wiring harnesses to mate up. Which 2002+ cars had a suitable 3.2/3.5 engine?

Thank in advance for any help you can offer....

Ross

Last edited by rrc1962; 08-06-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:34 PM
bestdarntootingood

Guess what I just actually did this. My 2.7 one day driving down the road started knocking and I lost engine power, could only go 25mph. A bearing went but it was still driveable, so I could get it home but the warning light sure wasn't fun to look at. A little research into possible options brought me to a manual sold on ebay for $20 by Dan C. a mechanic that has done the conversion. I also got the Chilton for further reference. So I bought the conversion manual, glad I did, the part numbers were very helpful in the whole project. I spent about $2500 on everything. I bought what I could used by looking up stuff at www.car-parts.com and the rest from the 5 star dodge dealer in my area who were very helpful and had a great parts department. Let me say with the condition of the body, it was well worth it, Just wish that it was legal to buy R145a in my state. Anyway, many late nights and I got it going. If you want a big project, then this is for you. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:19 PM
mlkmgr
Rookie

i highly advise that if you are going to put money into a rebuild, just swap a 3.2/5 in there. the problems you have now in the 2.7, will surely resurface in the future. there is a design flaw in the 2.7's that have caused numerous headaches.
check out dodgeintrepid.net or lhforums.net
others have gone through the same dilemma and i am sure they would be willing to help you out...

Quick Reply: 2002 Intrepid conversion donors