2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

re use or not the accessories from 2.7 to 3.2 swap conversion 2001 dodge intrepid

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:58 AM
llcoolpass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question re use or not the accessories from 2.7 to 3.2 swap conversion 2001 dodge intrepid

yo,

great site. I have done lots of reading, bought the 20 dollar guide by ''daytrepper'' on ebay, and still dont get a couple things just to start with, we'll see what else as I move along:

I was forced to get an engine [1000 dollar] without accessories and with things cut off like the wiring harness. Because of that, in order to make this economical, I will have to do improvising and save as much money as possible rather than buying lots of new expensive goodies. I'm already disheartended that I have to solder in stuff to fix the engine harness issue.

I was wondering why the A/C , P/s, Alt, Starter were supposed to be on the new engine? Why cant I just use the stuff from the 2.7?

Some threads on the world wide web say the Starter can be reused but the soleonid will get cooked by exhaust manifold. Ok, I get that, I will use the appropriate starter.

That same thread says the a/c can be used but the pulley needs to be changed. WHY??? Is it that big of a difference for the performance of the a/c , or is the size of the belt, or the positioning, or what?

And why can't the power steering pump be reused, and the alternator as well, from the 2.7?

Although I know one difference is the 3.2 gets a 130 amp, while the 2.7 gets a 120 amp, but otherwise what's up? Can't these things be switched from one to the other?

Last edited by llcoolpass; 09-12-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:31 AM
daytrepper

The 2.7 accessories cant be re-used because they are all different, and simply do not fit. Alternator has different mounting points which will not mount to the 3.2/3.5 brackets. It is also a smaller size alternator.

The starter's solenoid is in the wrong position, as are the wiring connections. I have never been able to get one to fit.

A/C has a different clutch, and top manifold has to be changed to make it work with the 2.7 lines, or the 3.2/5 lines can be bought and directly bolted on to 3.2/3.5 compressor.

The power steering pump also has different mounting points, and the 3.2/5 uses a different pump with a remote reservoir instead of a pump mounted reservoir.

You can install a V-belt clutch on your 2.7 compressor, but the cost of the clutch is more than buying a used compressor in most cases, unless you can find a used clutch -- which is not likely, they will want to sell the whole compressor.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:06 PM
llcoolpass

i got the clutch for 90 something, which should save me from having to do the new lines, refrigerant, oil, and used compressor.

the other accessories i got from junkyard for 50 a piece

i will get reservoir later, and the funny thing is, at junkyard they asked if i needed the sensor version, i said no since i have the 2000 engine in a 2001 car so i am not supposed to need it [besides, they didn't have the sensor ver. in stock]

ill post back anything else interesting

thanks daytrepper

PS the cruise control cable IS NOT available anymore, my dealer even checked superceded numbers. it's simply not available. would have to be pulled from a junkyard or something :-< I'm just going to try that or use the old one and "make it work"

Old 09-14-2008, 01:36 AM
mlkmgr
Rookie

if you cannot find it locally, check www.car-part.com -->allows you to search nationwide for parts.
OR
www.dodgeintrepid.net or www.lhforums.net -->many people part out intrepids, 300m, lhs, etc and scavenge yards across the US and Canada. i m sure somone can help you out and save you some cash. good luck with the build...

Quick Reply: re use or not the accessories from 2.7 to 3.2 swap conversion 2001 dodge intrepid