2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids
View Poll Results: Are you a 2004 Intrepid owner?
Yes
25.00%
No
75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

2004 Intrepid- 2.7 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Nightwspr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2004 Intrepid- 2.7 rebuild

Greetings from a newbie in SC

I am at my wits end and finding a forums was the only thing I could think of to help me and get some reliable info.

I bought a 2004 Intrepid about 3 wks ago. The used car guy told me that this was a new rebuilt engine, from block upward (2.7 ltr). I did all the usual checks, oil, oil smell, transmission color/smell, the dollar bill over the exhaust. I got a good feeling about what I had checked out so I was satisfied.

On Wednesday on my way home from work, I smelled a radiator smell. The temp gauge hung right around the middle, so I’m thinking it’s ok. But keep an eye on it. Just as I’m turning about 5 miles from my house, my outline of an engine light came on. I thought this was the check engine light. I have been told differently today, so I’m not sure. But I will refer to it as check engine. I drove up the driveway and let the car set a couple of hours. I went to check and nothing was sprayed, wet or busted that I could see. The car never smoked as with steam or anything. Thursday morning, I cranked the car to see if the light had hopefully gone out. It was still on. I let the car run 45 minutes and went back. The light was still on and I could hear a fan running. Again, the temp was hanging in the middle.

I called the dealer Friday and took the car back. I probably had to drive 21-22 miles to get back to the dealership. The engine light stayed on and did not go out. When I pulled up, I could hear bubbling or gurgling underneath the hood. I popped the hood and in the reservoir for the radiator, it was full and the fluid inside looked like it was boiling.

Their mechanic took a look and said it needed a new thermostat. That was changed but the gauge still hang around the middle. The dealer contacted the guy who actually built the motor. He came over and said something about a condenser or that is what I thought he said. I got the car back this past Tuesday afternoon.

Everytime I have driven the car,the gauge hangs in the middle and once I stop like to leave the car. I again hear this gurgling boiling noise. The light does NOT come on though. No smoke or condensation from underneath the hood.

Would this be ok since it is a new engine?

Would you suggest I take it back again?

I had a friend tell me to replace the radiator cap that an old cap would most likely have a dried out gasket and couldn't get a good vacuum going making it suck air. A new cap would seal and make a huge difference. Would that be something I should try?

HELP!! Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:42 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Moved and bumped.

Quick Reply: 2004 Intrepid- 2.7 rebuild