2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

2.7L Oil light flickering

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 PM
bottledtweaks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7L Oil light flickering

I've got a 2001 Dodge Interpid with the 2.7L V6. The engine has recently been rebuilt with new oil pump. I changed the oil yesterday with 5w30 Valvoline and Lucas. When I'm driving it cold it is fine. But once the engine heats up and the RPMs get below 1500 the oil light comes on. I've been reading on here and seeing people with similar problems replacing the Oil Pressure Sending Unit fixing their problems. I am concerned that this may not be the case. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and helpful. I just want to avoid spending money i don't have to because it is extremely tight at this time.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:53 PM
harleyjames696

switch your oil to a synthetic and use a 10w30 or lucas additive. try that first it could be that as engine heats up it is thinning out the oil.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:56 PM
04aveols5204

I was noticing this too on my 2.7L. I thought it was the sending unit as well, until I looked at the tach. It shows the idle speed at around 500-700 RPMs which is pretty low in my opinion. MY 1.6L Aveo idles at a steady 850 RPMs, and the Silverado I used to have idled at around 900 RPMs. Now, I realise every engine is different, but the idle speed seems to be too low in this case.

This is only when I notice the oil light flickering. I can start it and drive it for a short while and it will be fine, but mine seems to do it after I drive it for a longer while (ie. across town).

She did get an oil change on the car a while back (about 2000 miles back) and they put 10W-30 oil in it. However, being a lube and go, all they dump is the oil. I want to try to put the lucas oil stabilzer in it as I have done with all my cars, and then see if it helps it. Any other recommendations on this?

Old 04-10-2009, 09:10 PM
IntrepidRam

Had the same thing happen on my 2.7L and replaced sending unit and problem went away. It's a cheap part and easy to get to so maybe worth a try??

Old 04-11-2009, 09:45 AM
reefkeeper
Default 2001 intrepid 2.7

The oil light in my intrepid started coming on way back when the car was young 50 or 60 k on it
I'd just get off the interstate after driving 80 mph or so and then come to a stop and the light would flicker untill i brought the idle speed up to 700
then let off the gas and it would be fine after that .

now the car has 160 k and after warming up the light comes on no matter what new or old oil with or without additives 10w 30 or 20w 50
its been like that ever since i had the pressure sending unit and the water pump replaced now the garage says it must be worn out!
I think it needs a new oil pump . anyone have an opinion on this?

its been a really good car always had maintenance done on time
i will be honest i took good care of it but ran it hard usually would run over 100 mph at least once a month .. for a couple of years..

Old 04-17-2009, 10:22 PM
reefkeeper
Default problem solved

hey I replaced the pressure switch today and now the light doesnt come on sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here is one for you
has anyone heard of putting some graphite in the motor oil to boost horse power in an older engine???????

someone told me about this and for along time i kept thinking about it
and well i recently tried it in my dodge caravan 180 k and it does seem to help give it back some lost power and sounds healthier in the exhaust ..
i baby this thing try not to go over 55 and never floor it ..
drive it everyday for work..

Quick Reply: 2.7L Oil light flickering