2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

99 2.7l intrepid

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 11:49 PM
v440
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 2.7l intrepid

My intrepid just went over 100,000 Yeah.But my oil light is flickering when I stop in traffic and idle drops a little it only does this after it's been running for 20 minutes or so.There is plenty of oil {just changed} I even replaced the oil sending unit.

Old 02-08-2004, 04:10 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 99 2.7l intrepid

It is probably a weak oil pump or worn out bearings. The oil light will come on if the oil pressure drops below 5 psi. When your car reaches operating temperature the idle will drop, because it is set for a fast idle until it reaches operating temperature. When you come to a stop the oil pressure is at it's lowest and too low of an oil pressure will cause the oil light to come on. With your oil pressure being that low it could start to cause damage and your going to keep losing oil pressure until you have none. Have it checked out before it's too late.

Replace your oil sending unit with an Autometer electric oil pressure gauge(it comes with a new sending unit).[sm=smiley4.gif]

This is why I hate idiot lights, they tell you nothing until it's too late. I recommend that everyone gets actual gauges to replace the idiot lights. My R/T came with a speedometer, tachometer, fuel level and water temperature gauges. It had idiot lights for the oil pressure and the voltage. I installed Autometer oil pressure and volt gauges so that I know what is going on all the time and I can notice that something is happening before it's too late. My battery was going bad, but I saw it coming because I had installed the volt gauge, so it never left me stranded somewhere.

Old 02-08-2004, 10:14 PM
v440

Thanks that will save me alot of cash

Old 02-09-2004, 10:06 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Not a problem.[sm=smiley4.gif]Good luck.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 02-22-2004, 11:19 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oil light shouldn't come on until 3psi, if you run a mech oil pressure test, make sure to let it run a good half-hour. Ive seen many that passed after a few minutes but dropped to 0 if allowed to run, bad oil pump relief valve.

Old 02-23-2004, 03:35 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

It's down to 3 psi., and I thought that my R/T's light not coming on until 5 psi. was bad enough.[sm=smiley21.gif]Thats why everyone should have gauges to monitor these things. They should be built with gauges that have idiot lights integrated into them for those that don't know what they are looking at or just aren't paying attention.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 10-02-2006, 01:33 AM
Kevin Sontag

Run a thicker, non synthetic motor oil. When the engine gets hot the oil thins causing less presure, so your idiot lights comes on. before you buy a buch of stuff change your oil to Mobile "Clean 5000 10-30, see if that solves the problem. It did on mine

Old 10-13-2006, 01:00 AM
embalmerjeff

IDIOT LIGHTS SUCK!!! [:'(] You're 1000% correct...they come on when it's too late. I had a 1980 Ponti-roach Sunbird with a 3.8L V6. The light came on and the rods were a knocking. I have a 2001 Intrepid with 94,000 on the clock. I thought about putting an oil pressure gauge in, but wasn't exactly sure where to mount it. Where did you put yours? I'm thinking the door pillar...yes?
ORIGINAL: 71RoadRunner

It is probably a weak oil pump or worn out bearings. The oil light will come on if the oil pressure drops below 5 psi. When your car reaches operating temperature the idle will drop, because it is set for a fast idle until it reaches operating temperature. When you come to a stop the oil pressure is at it's lowest and too low of an oil pressure will cause the oil light to come on. With your oil pressure being that low it could start to cause damage and your going to keep losing oil pressure until you have none. Have it checked out before it's too late.

Replace your oil sending unit with an Autometer electric oil pressure gauge(it comes with a new sending unit).[sm=smiley4.gif]

This is why I hate idiot lights, they tell you nothing until it's too late. I recommend that everyone gets actual gauges to replace the idiot lights. My R/T came with a speedometer, tachometer, fuel level and water temperature gauges. It had idiot lights for the oil pressure and the voltage. I installed Autometer oil pressure and volt gauges so that I know what is going on all the time and I can notice that something is happening before it's too late. My battery was going bad, but I saw it coming because I had installed the volt gauge, so it never left me stranded somewhere.

Quick Reply: 99 2.7l intrepid