2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

Swapped '98 3.2 for '02 2.7... Help!!!

Old 08-01-2009, 09:43 PM
lacoonass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapped '98 3.2 for '02 2.7... Help!!!

Hey guys hope you can help. Let me start my story by saying i bought a 2002 intrepid on may 12 2009. And yes it had the all famed 2.7 v6. Went to louisiana on vacation on may 16 and rod started knocking on i-10 and threw 2 rods outside of houston got the car towed to family's house in louisiana. Moved back to louisiana a few weeks later. Got the 2.7 out. Started to do a little research and quickly decide not to go back with a 2.7. Found a 3.2 out of a wrecked and running '98 interepid. Got the motor dropped in my 2002.did some mods and got it buttoned up. Thought it was ready to fire up... Not!!!! Its getting fuel but not fire. I changed the timing belt while the motor was out. So i checked to make sure i didnt goof on that. Its perfect. So i changed the crank and cam sensors, still no fire. Just ordered another computer for it and waiting for it to come in. But while im waiting i did a little more digging and found several threads saying that the 98-01 motors are not interchangable with 02-04. Cam someone shed a little light on why not? If its wiring harness issues i got a harness out of an 02 with a 3.5. And everything plugged right up. Now the reason im changing the computer is because before i changed crank and cam sensors computer was throwing bogus codes saying that the map, tsp and coolant temp sensor voltage input was too high. Checked the voltage with a meter and it has 5 volts like it should. Also when i check for voltage at the connectors for the crank and cam sensors i and there is voltage on both the sensor power and the computer signal wire. And of course my ground power is good. Now i did this check with the sensors unplugged. I will change the computer and report. But just out of curiosity can someone explain the compatibility issues of '98-'01 versus '02-'04...

Old 08-02-2009, 04:24 PM
lacoonass

Also just to throw another note in here... I have checked the asd relay and circuits. All is good.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:38 PM
DESIREESAVENGER
Rookie

The 98 used a SBEC engine controller. The 02 used a NGC controller. You need a left side cam gear and flywheel from a 02 or up 3.5 to make it work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapped '98 3.2 for '02 2.7... Help!!!