2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

Engine dies on highway and oil light flickers at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:57 PM
torsiondrummer
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dies on highway and oil light flickers at idle

Hey, I'm not really sure why my oil light flickers too, at idle, even after going 10-15 miles, and at a stoplight, it flickers. When I shift into Neutral, it goes out, but is back on at idle speed at a stoplight. I have a 1999 2.7L, any ideas?

And, when I'm cruising at highway speeds 40 and above sometimes the engine dies? I can slip it in neutral and sometime able to start on the fly- ever seen that?

Old 05-14-2010, 03:33 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil light flickering is pretty common with 2.7s... Change out the oil pressure sensor and it usually solves the problem. The Engine dying could be a number of things. But the most common culprits are the crank position sensor or the fuel pump. It would probably take some time to diagnose since a mechanic would have to duplicate the problem and check the fuel pressure and crank position sensor signal while it is happening to tell which is the problem. But it's worth looking into, also, if it turns out to be the crank position sensor don't be discouraged if the first "new" sensor does not solve the problem. It's been known that you can get 3 faulty sensors in a row from the DEALER.

Quick Reply: Engine dies on highway and oil light flickers at idle