2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

2000 Dodge Intrepid 3.2 turns over, yet won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 06:07 PM
deblwbt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2000 Dodge Intrepid 3.2 turns over, yet won't start

Ok.... Here is the deal. I need help!!

Car has new fuel pump, new alternator, battery checks out good, new spark plugs, spark is only coming from #2 coil. Checked all coils by rotating them out to position #2 & they all spark. Tested the relays, they all work. Ran an OMBD II Meter with NO codes to come back. Single mom here & not a lot of finances to fix things.

CAN ANY ONE HELP??

Thanks Deborah

Old 07-20-2010, 10:01 PM
TimMcGraw67

Hi Deborah...

Well I have to tell you that 1 It looks like all your coils are powered by the Dark Green w/ Light green tracer. They are all common. What I would do is check all of those to make sure that you have power to them, Next I would use a test light with the Wire to Power and handle to the Ground side (wire other than green) in the Coil connector. If that doesn't do anything I (Bite my tongue) I would then see what your cam/crank sensor is doing.

Kenneth

Old 07-22-2010, 09:03 PM
DESIREESAVENGER
Rookie

unplug the cam sensor and try starting. If it starts (after a long crank time) the timing belt jumped.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:53 AM
deblwbt

Originally Posted by DESIREESAVENGER
unplug the cam sensor and try starting. If it starts (after a long crank time) the timing belt jumped.

Thank you so very much You are the winner!.... Timing belt jumped. I have to get a new timing belt system with water pump and all. Almost $300 plus labor. I am so thankful that a friend knows what he is doing and is going to fix it. Not sure yet what his labor will be. He had to test the system to make sure I didn't crack anything inside.... OUCH. Something about an interface engine.

Thanks! I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:48 PM
fonz6800

Have your crankshaft sensor checked,that maybe the problem. I that problem with my Intrepid.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 AM
deblwbt

This is just funny any more. Now the car has a all new coils as well. So to break this down. New: Timing belt, water pump, fuel pump, alternator, radiator, belts, hhhmmmm and anything I have mentioned before. The car ran for a few weeks & did fine. Now the engine light is on again & auto zone said it is a code that is for the oxigen sensor or cataletic convertor... another $225 for the part alone.... I love my car, and for it to have over 225,000 miles on it, I am quite impressed that I haven't had very many issues other than breaks. Until lately that is!

Going to the junk yard and see if I can locate a few parts for enhancement... ha ha!

Any ideas??

Old 10-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Doubleoh8
Question

Hi Folks,
I'm new here to this board as of today and I too have a 2000 Intrepid RT with about 112,000 miles.

Recently I had to have a cam shaft sensor replaced at PepBoys here in Vegas and kept getting an engine light. They changed out the warranty part but I got another engine light after driving 3 miles away. Turned out to actually be the wiring (pigtail) to the sensor that was worn out. And they replaced that for free.

But now I'm having that hard to start isssue too, and read on here about the timing belt slippling off.
I see all my belts on and snug and was wondering if it could be something else you all might know about?

Also when the car starts on the second try, you can smell something coming in through the vents possibly a small amount of burnt oil. No gas smell though.

Any idea what that could be?

Again , I'm new here so take it easy on me and I will try to post helpful stuff I've learned over the years with our intrepid that may help others save smoe money and time.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Intrepid 3.2 turns over, yet won't start