2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

2004 Intrepid SXT 3.5L In Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Rickter98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My update for June 6th. Just to recap from my previous post, a new radiator and auxiliary trans cooler were installed and after 68 miles it failed again so they proceeded with the final step in their bag of tricks and replaced the trans wiring harness. So far so good. The mechanic put 125 miles on it and I made it to work today (48 miles one way) without incident.

Keeping my fingers crossed but I hope the harness did the trick. I have "other" issues to address now because the hood has to be slammed to close and the fender on the driver's side is sticking up about a half inch higher than the hood. They also were either careless in the garage or hit something as there is some damage to the front fender and a gouge in the plastic nose of the car. Someone apparently dropped something hot on the front seat so there's a burn mark on the driver's seat and he so graciously left the car on E for me.

@kurt2 - I still haven't gotten the codes from him yet but I intend to. Also I haven't had to out of pocket another dime for any of the additional work which is a good thing. Frankly I wasn't going to pay them another dime anyway. The next dollar that left my wallet would've been to an attorney. I dropped the car off to them March 14th and finally got it back June 4th.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:57 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

For future reference you should always do a walk around when you pick up a vehicle from the shop. St that time take note of any discrepancies and they will have them fixed for free. You may still ne able to have the hood/fender issue fixed if your other mechanic has your back and states he knows the hood used to close and the fender/hood issue happened at the shop. I would bring up all my complaints though and if the workers are honest, you may get it all fixed. Just kick up you heals a bit and see what it gets you. Like I said before though, you should always do a walk around prior to acceptance.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:26 PM
jamally

well ?? ,,,,, did a new wire harness solve the puzzle ?? ... i've been peeking at this thread - dying to get the final punchline on the matter ... somebody please holla $$$$

Old 10-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Rickter98

@jamally - Yep it was the wiring harness for me. I've been driving it for about 4 months now and no problems at all. My daily commute is 92 miles round trip and I do it every day and I've put about 10k miles on it since June. I wouldn't be the bank on this being the fix for every situation but they dealer couldn't even figure this one out. I'm glad it's fixed but $3,200 is alot of money to figure out it was a $200 problem. Good luck.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:49 PM
jamally

,,,exactly - my intrepid was returned from the dealer with no suggestions,
they couldn't get a signal from their break-out box.
Did you replace the entire harness, or just a specific branch of the harness..
This is important info , so i hope you can remember...
Was it in car wiring, or just the harness for the transaxle, or the entire engine compartment ??

Old 11-01-2011, 03:51 PM
jamally

step in their bag of tricks and replaced the trans wiring harness. So far
.... guess i overlooked a detail or two ...... tks

Old 11-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Rickter98

@jamally - no worries.

Well I woke up this morning only get completely pissed off. Something failed on my trans again! This time though the speedometer isn't working and the car won't shift out of 1st gear. Sometimes is clunks and starts to go but then kicks back into 1st gear and speedometer to zero. I absolutely love my Intrepid but I have to tell you, I am done with it. NAPA apparently doesn't warranty any transmission or engine work so I am at the mercy of the mechanic now. It's been six months and I got a "we'll see response when I talked to the mechanic." Ughhhh!

Old 04-19-2012, 03:50 PM
jamally

it's been over 8 wks since i changed the engine wiring harness( all the way to the driver's firewall),, and the car is shifting normal, and starting in neutral and park .... there it is....

Quick Reply: 2004 Intrepid SXT 3.5L In Limp Mode