2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

2000 Intrepid ES 3.2 Gas Gauge Needle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:44 PM
djrnewcastle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Intrepid ES 3.2 Gas Gauge Needle Issues

Hey guys, new to this forum and I appreciate any help you can give me.
Today I took a drive to Indianapolis about 45 miles from my home. The car ran fine. Before I left to return I decided to top off my tank. After I started the car my gas gauge needle slowly crept up to full. Unusual for that to happen because when you start the Intrepid it goes immediately to the top or however full your tank is. After I started driving, the needle went crazy. It would go to the top, then drop quickly to the bottom, giving the reading that the tank was empty and the ding noise saying it was empty. Then it would jump back to the top again. I drove home and the car ran fine. No problem with the needle until I got off the exit and it started again. If the car is idle, it doesn't move. I turn a corner.. and BAM. It starts again. And then every so often it drops then goes back to the top. There is nothing specific that I could tell that sets it off. I drove an additional 30 miles around town. And the incident was sporadic. Anything you guys could help me with I would appreciate it!

Old 07-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Matix151
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the fuel level sensor is on the fuel pump module in the tank. when they go bad they give very erratic readings like you are describing , only other possibility is an electrical issue but its most likely the level sensor , just put a new fuel pump module assembly and it should be ok.

Quick Reply: 2000 Intrepid ES 3.2 Gas Gauge Needle Issues