2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

Steering wheel play

Old 07-28-2012, 09:29 AM
George5284
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel play

Hi - I have a 2000 Intrepid with 160,000 miles it has developed about a +/- inch of play in the steering wheel. I thought it was the bushings by the rack since every once in a while the steering will hang-up and it takes a bit more force to move the wheel (rather unnerving). I bought the kit but they looked ok once I got into it. I took it to my mechanic to inspect the front-end and get a real opinion but he says everything is tight. He thinks the problem is in the rack and pinion itself and recommended that I replace it. (actually he said I should junk the car since the A/C is out as well )

While saving my money for said expense I noticed that the play is still there when the car is off and the steering wheel is locked (keys out). The play is obvious and wheel moves with no drag. It moves so effortlessly it makes me think the problem is not in the rack but some place high in the steering column before it starts engaging all the linkages. I never noticed this play before and maybe that play when its is locked is normal. I'm just hoping it is something simple. Replacing the rack on this car looks like a nightmare.

Before I start taking apart my steering column does any one have any experience with this? Ideas?

Thanks,

George
Westlake, OH

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel play